Sunday, April 13, 2014

why did the turkey cross the road and other important questions

I was on the way to spend my hard earned money in a loop this morning that included pickup of my parents after the joint service that involved lots of church memebers. A tradition of FUMC started years ago was brought back to life by a stunning cast including Jesus himself, Gerry Anderson. Back in the day when Mark Locke was the director it ran for two hours and involved both Gerry and his twin brother Terry...the twin Jesi, we called 'em. One night during practice the local po-po got a call and ran into one of them in the basement hallway complete with robe. Word has it he accepted his Lord right then and there.

My daddy and I were always cast members, along with BG and the kids that were there then. The choir climbed ancient wooden steps up to the loft where Mark almost fell off on more than one occasion. My favorite memory is of Patti Lou in the marketplace with a basket full of puppies. All the while, my ornery daddy hollered about something or another and banged on a drum. Baby Jesus changed every year according to whomever had been blessed with a six month old at Lent. We went to the local Dairy Queen for lunch and I was enchanted watching the families and most especially the elderly. Some old schoolmates sat nearby with their grandchildren and more than one person stomped up front demanding their food right, damn now. An elderly grandma type with sensible black shoes and hose enjoyed an after church burger. I saw the owner when I went to pick up our sundaes and knew exactly we needed. He shared that one employee was a no show so it was more chaos than usual. After church, no less. I knew better than to even attempt Cracker Barrel after 11. After dropping off the movie rentals and paying the entirely unfair electricity bill current amount due to my local provider at the last minute, scurried over to the FUMC lot to wait for church to let out. I have been there come rain or shine or plastic windows on the trusty old Camry for a lot of months. I am a solitary type person in that I require long periods of down time to recover from the stresses of every day life as I live it. It's not always about the number of people around you but if the harmony is there (which hasn't been too evident to me lately) a state of peace and balance can be found for our fragile mother earth. It's now or never and I'm a believer. This is the day that symbolizes the triumphant entry complete with palm branches.


So anyway, back to the turkey. I was driving east on Samaria Bend up close to the by-pass when all of a sudden this turkey runs in front of my car and I smacked him real good before he went flying. I was telling Mom and Daddy about it at lunch and the lady at the next table said "Thanksgiving dinner!" Jane's newest addiction is Mad Men and I was just amazed to find that there's no market for all the seasons of Breaking Bad and Nurse Jackie. Yep...I love me some LIONSGATE. And of course Weeds.

I ask of any pilgrim like me only one thing during this holy week. Remember that it was all for you ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment