Wednesday, April 16, 2014

stealth as a virtue

One of my dearest friends in the whole wide world who was "expected" to be a Chi Omega at Ole Miss (legacy) told me that she would always be in stealth mode just in case she needed the connection. Sadly, that's the way the world works these days! She later went on to marry a biker and a dentist plus a good old boy from home. Her career with a vet school has been long and distinguished serving as a leader of their business department. The only other two people that I know well who went to school there are Dr. Jeff and Sally who couldn't be farther apart in personality. Oh, and of course there was Dick Bruce the educator who diagnosed me as above average intelligence in elementary school.. long before common core was ever invented. Good call Mr. B, and I still think too much and look out the window way too often. Especially in spring. His wife Peggy was a librarian (like Sally) and I'm afraid her love of all things refined failed to impress their only child the drummer. He's always been like me...a force to be reckoned with.

Whatever is putting off pollen right now is absolutely killing me in spite of Zyrtec/Singulair. We moved into this house in the month of April many years before the asparagus got planted and our lives got sent in 90 different directions. During the 90's we all schlepped along raising kids and working our asses off as big fish ate little fish and corporate became not a nickname but a reality. I have never understood the wisdom of not listening to front line people who see the weaknesses and strengths of a place from a personal perspective. Our entire society has been structured to support giant bigger mega Wall Street values by outsourcing labor that could be done by Americans to citizens of other countries because it's "cheaper." Whatthefuckever.

My grandmother Ethel Inez was an old school telephone operator in Halls which is about 10 miles south of here. There's a picture of her perched on a stool with this totally hot looking guy leaning against the table and she looks just.like.me in the face. That would have been around uh...have to get back with you on that. I can't describe the feeling that I had the first time I saw my face on one of my long lost relatives. Like walking on a grave or something.

I'm thinking about having my footwashing early. More later ^j^



1 comment:

  1. I have a picture of my grandma as a little girl that looks exactly like ME - in fact, when I first saw it many, many years ago, I thought it WAS me.
    Of course, in my case, it was more like that episode of Brady Bunch when Jan sees a picture of her kooky aunt... ;)

    ReplyDelete