Tuesday, November 20, 2012

the barn door's open

As you know, I live on a sprawling acreage of farm that includes one hugeass dairy barn complete with silos and the horse barn behind my house. I can see one from most windows in the house. The wheat crop is coming up real nice and greening the fields so that it looks like a fine painting from back in the day. I tend to be lazy so I have taken a boatload of pictures of all the buildings that are standing, hoping in some way to keep the memory alive of what was. My friend Cupcake was the one who told me that my "barn door" was open after I posted one of the trillion and five of Pride's crib. Meanwhile the frame business, though labor intensive (thanks dude) has resulted in some really beautiful pieces of art to to combine with another medium. Also thinking about throwing on a few beads or feathers...hmmm. My Salsa sister is the bead queen, hands down. I've got a few treasured creations that I've bought over the years and would kill somebody who dared try to take 'em.

Meanwhile, we're still making plans to cook like fools tomorrow afternoon preparing a feast fit for the Staffords and whomever else shows up. You just never know! I was reading today about all the folks in Jersey and New York still without homes and some, even the basic necessities. That it took two weeks for a disaster of that magnitude to be dealt with doesn't surprise me. All of the money that used to be spent on infrastructure and public service is going to Wall Street and Asia. I read about the destruction to the beaches that will never be the same again regardless of how many tons of sand are thrown on them. The ones that are built up seemed to work in this storm. It's said to be costly and why bother. Are you KIDDING me??? When I saw the response to Katrina I knew right then and there that we are screwed. As for President Obama? I think he's addressing things in a timely manner and not threatening anybody because Lord knows we don't need all that drama what with the holidays coming.

Besides the propane thing, this will be the second year that nobody will get a birthday or any other sort of holiday gift because hey..times are hard. What used to be a huge orgy of spending and giving just because has turned into a real good excuse not to "swap money" in honor of the guy who kicked over the tax tables in the temple. Just sayin'.

So, remember to try to understand that Drunk Uncle is just one of those characters in the story of you own personal history. I've had a couple myself. Put those deviled eggs back in the 'frig promptly. Eat slowly, savoring the moment with the folks who are at the table. And for the love of Big Ernie, be thankful for the bounty du jour, whatever it may be.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment