Thursday, November 22, 2012

i guess you had to be there

Norman Rockwell would be proud of the scene around my mother's dining room table today, all five of us taking the time to sit and talk and savor the flavors. One of their friends stopped by with brownies just in time for dessert. The neighbor across the road offered some fried chittlins' and I kindly declined. Pure Americana, ya'll. BG and I took over Ms. Faye's normally spotless kitchen yesterday and created some masterpieces to add to what she had done. All we had to do was two hours of oven time and voila! Happy turkey day :) Short and sweet and one of the perks of living a mile from your family.

As we sat in the quiet living room just "being" my eyes wandered across the walls of our home, looking much like they always have featuring family heirlooms mixed and mingled with local art. There are two granite light posts in the yard that were taken from the bridge going into D'burg when they were replaced. She's THAT kind of collector and historian. She gracefully acknowledged that she had taught us well in the kitchen and thanked us for putting on the feast. The front walls are the original log and mortar from back in the day. Originally built as a summer home type of place for hunting and such, it became their home the year after I was born and Daddy took over the place.

KY cousin called while we were chillin' and we had the land line draped all the way across that living room for she and mom to chat. They are so much to so many people and I realize that in the kindness that is shown to them and to us by friends and family. I kinda got teary this morning before we left here to cook, considering that this is probably the last Thanksgiving with them living in the house. I talked to myself real hard and pulled it together but, dang. I'm so tired of keepin' on that all I want to do is sleep and work. So I can sleep and work some more.

We stopped by a friend's house with some plates before heading home to nappy time. Faith is still not well and I'm making an appointment to see what's up and the options. She doesn't seem to be suffering, but won't eat. Ryder and Oscar followed us all the way to the grands and Oscar hung around tormenting Sally in the back of my brother's truck. Border collies are not the most obedient in the world unless you let 'em know who's boss. Ryder found her way home pretty quickly so it was all good. When we left the log cabin, Oscar was riding on the console just like Butters used to do sniffing the leftovers. All of this, of course, in the trusty old Camry with no spare and one hubcap. I kid you not!

Today I am thankful for a lot of things...my family and friends both professionally and personally speaking. There is a special place in heaven for those who have never met me in person but still believe that there is goodness out there for somebody who tries as hard as I do. Maybe I should just say "eff it" and go on public assistance. The college degree thing isn't working out so well, ya know? I am now a liability to a corporation because of my age. Not that they have a lot invested in me, mind you. But I have sick time that halved during the sale that maxes out and can't be used realistically because it affects productivity. I know, not my problem. The docs with big egos with whom I have sparred over the years have been a huge problem because they rarely listen to what a less than peer to peer associate has to say...choosing instead to play Big Ernie. As a society we have put them in that position where a big ego is acceptable and we even pay big bucks for it. Trust me..they're not always as nice to us as to all ya'll. More than a handful has made me cry like a baby.

As BG would say "thank the lort" it's time to put up the fabulously tacky fake tree. If only I could find a spot somewhere in this storage unit of a house I'm in. Keep the faith ^j^







No comments:

Post a Comment