Friday, November 9, 2012

great expectations

I had a solid lesson in how to somewhat recognize the value of a baseball card today when I drove south to visit Mr. Big and learn at the feet of the master. Barkley kept us company at the dining table, bless his heart. Later on, me and the Little General moved a table off the patio for the winter and I was on my merry way to the loan sharks the bank. Seeing as how I have about ten thousand more and each one must be a quarter at LEAST, I'm officially in the biz. Most of them are from the eighties and early nineties before football took over as our national sport. I don't care who you are, you can't beat a good baseball game. The American pastime, before bitching about politics replaced it. It still freakin' amazes me at the number of folks who won't give it up and let the President do his job. Wah.Wah.Wah. I heard that the Coulter chick is on heavy drugs now that it's all over. Could just be a rumor on Fox though.

The prize of today's picking was finding the signed reprint of a local's card..Mr. Ed Wright. He owned a service station that was across the street from my grandaddy's store and the Baird Brewer hospital. Oh, and of course First United Methodist on the corner of Main and McGaughey. It will go in the mail to his daughter or granddaughter. Roberts' Chevrolet was there as well, with the Silver Castle wedged into a little hole in the wall as a diner where my mother and her sister worked. The high school was close and the kids centered their lives around College Hill. But that? Was in the fifties. I spent one year at that ancient high school, the one that my parents graduated from, and then they built a new on on the super dooper highway that by-passes the entire 'burg. There was an ancient basketball court where I attended many games and couldn't tell you for nothin' who was on the court except for the cheerleaders.

As far as I know the world hasn't ended yet because of Obama being back in office. If the price of gas is any indication of how the economy intends to proceed, I'll buy into that. Otherwise, don't bother me. I'm interested to see how much of a tax refund I get in February considering how I'm all middle class and maxed out from the support of a huge federal government. Take the FDA for instance. Do not tell me that an organization that large and that well funded couldn't stop something like what happened with the pharm compounding facility that is responsible for multiple deaths. But NOOOOOOOO...they're too busy inspecting chicken slaughterhouses and whatnot. Our priorities are in a seriously bad position. The bright spot of the whole deal is that I'm moving more into survivalist mentality because honestly I don't trust the feds or anybody else to watch my back. I got a decent raise this year for the first time in forever and also received an increase in insurance premiums. Go figure Wall Street.

So, the weekend is devoted to the sawmill and I'm good with that as long as I get paid. You can bet your sweet ass when that check stops, I'm outta there. Maybe by then we'll have another round of unemployment benefits to help me along until retirement age. ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment