Tuesday, November 6, 2012

ding dong the pile is gone

About four years ago my brother hired a contractor to do a whole bunch of dirt work including digging out my ancient driveway (because it's cheaper than asphalt, I suppose.) Besides I do so love the wildflowers growing in the strip of grass that runs down the middle and the and the huge ruts that caused my muffler to sound like somebody from the hood trying to make a statement. Really...I'm just trying to get to work and back ya'll. When the guy got done there was a huge pile of gravel and dirt left in my yard next to the road right before you get to our mailbox. It has given us great crops of poke and other assorted weeds for several summers now. One time I got so sick of it I pulled all the dead shit out by hand. The dogs love climbing it and looking out at whatever critters are running around. This is squirrel heaven out here because of all the nuts. They don't care if they're high grade or not!

Faith is back at the doggie hospital with a post-op infection from her big ordeal last week. Ever since she took the last antibiotic, she's been slipping backwards so we took her in today after two days of no eating and barely gettin' around. She's doing an overnight visit with fluids and meds to try to kick that nasty infection in the ass. Having puppies at the age of 9 was probably not the best thing for her health but it happened and we have a big old jug headed puppy to show for that labor of love. The vet and I sat in the floor with her because she was way too sick to get on the table. I talked to her and told her how pretty she is, and I would know because I'm her grandma and grannies are never the least bit prejudiced. BG and I went out to pick her up from a ditch in my friend's back yard after she and her mama ran away from the crackheads across the road.

As we were topping the hill by the dairy barn this afternoon I noticed some big yellow equipment in my yard and the damn pile was halfway gone! Progress takes time, I reckon. It's amazing how much better the view is without that mound of dirt sitting there lookin' like that. I am thankful for that today, as well as the fact that I voted in spirit because I didn't have the gas or the energy to make it to Fowlkes. Somehow, I know Big E understands how much an old girl can do. One of my personal heroes is Elisabeth Kubler Ross, the famous "death and dying" educator from back in the day. This lady established a hospice for AIDS victims in the mountains of Virginia during the times when it was not really understood and very under-treated. Never underestimate the power of a virus or a strong willed woman on a mission. The book? Circle of Life.

Happy "it's all over but the crying" eve ya'll. I'll keep trying no matter who wins ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment