Sunday, August 16, 2009

the yard girl


I never thought I'd be doing it again, but there I was driving Daddy's John Deere up Pecan Lane to mow the hay yard. There were no vehicle failures this morning, so they made it to church and we all enjoyed lunch at you-know-where. Their preacher got married last week so it was sort of an introduction of the new wife and her family. I can honestly say that none of the ministers there ever came single and left married. Well, except for Mark and Donna.. but that was another chapter. There was this one guy who got caught boinking the church secretary and went away to UMC oblivion. As I recall, he had greasy black hair and most likely never called his mother.

Bubba was afraid I'd break it but I drove that sucker right back into the shed and locked up. The landscape looks much different in my acre than it did last summer, BTW. That dang earthmover got carried away and created a ledge all around the driveway that's a bitch to navigate on a riding mower. That's when the drama started. Mama did all the talkin' and Daddy just kind of sat there looking pitiful. She asked me to be honest about the money situation and asked what they could do to help. Ya'll, that's when I just broke down like a little kid ashamed to be lettin' them down. She told me about how they wouldn't be here forever and that I needed to think about the future. Truth be told, I'm still here because they need me. When that is not a factor...well, I don't know.

I received the loveliest message last week from a friend of my parents who reminded me that I have some gifts and I might not be using them in the way that Big Ernie truly intended. Since I'm an angel sort of gal, that is where I will direct my energy from now on. Or at least for today.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment