Saturday, August 29, 2009

taking care of business


I rarely turn the tv on at all, and usually neverl on weekends. This morning I was in the mood so I punched the remote and spent a a little bit of time watching the powers that be memorialize Ted Kennedy. What most impressed me was the cadre of military who carried his body from the hearse to the basilica, never missing a step because there was somebody calling out commands for every action. It was the end of an era for this old gal.

Kristin took the wheel today and we went on a roadtrip with Mom, Aunt Granny and BG to lunch at the Just Divine tearoom down in Lauderdale County. The food was great and they got to see some old friends gathered there for class reunion. This place is an entire little village of to-die-for things that I certainly can't afford but many others seem to be snatching up. No recession down there, if you know what I mean. I've never been much of a shopper anyways.

Daddy was in his chair when we got home, watching some sort of cowboy show with the document in hand for me to sign because, hey...we have to be fair and all that. The really sad thing is that after I got home, mama called to ask me to type it up all legal like so that the estate would be even when they pass onto glory. If my math is correct, I'm paying them back monthly on a loan allowing me to live in this ancient rattrap of a house so that I'm close enough to respond to any little emergency like no bananas or diet coke. Bubba and I agree that if the roots weren't here, we'd be moving on to a place where small town politics don't matter.. wherever the hell that might be.

I'm done with this rodeo. Mama said I ought to get outside of myself now and then and do something that I love to do. She might be right.

^j^







1 comment:

  1. Uh yeah - riding that dang merry-go-round gets a bit tiring after a bit...

    ReplyDelete