Friday, August 21, 2009

cash for clunkers, healthcare reform and bargain shopping

This sick leave has given me some time to ponder the state of the union and my circumstances, in particular. Let's take the last week, for instance. My 32 year employment with a healthcare provider allows me the privilege of purchasing health insurance at a premium that is not really affordable for those who are in the lower wage bracket down there close to the minimum. Hell, I can barely afford it myself as a licensed professional caregiver with one dependent and a bunch of federal credit union loan payments coming out bi-weekly. Now, BG's ER co-pay of one hundred bucks will be deducted from my check as well. I doubt seriously I'll donate to the United Way this year just to make my company look like a community team player.

The trusty old camry is almost nine years old and has only 60K miles on the original engine, maybe twenty on the new block. It has dents, scratches and three bad tires but I think I'll keep it because it's almost paid for. Down to the principal, so to speak. I bought that sucker at lease end because I had no other options and damn if it hasn't been the best car I've ever owned paid for. With apologies to Dirty Mike, if American automakers produced that sort of reliable product, there would be far less drama. Catalytic converter, my ass.

When BG was a teenager, she expected...and got...high priced duds from AE and Gap and all of the other name brand retailers that cater to teenage peer-pressured spoiled rotten kids. Buying into that philosophy cost me a lot of money and she was no better for it. These days, we both wear what's comfy and dress it up with Athena's beads when the situation requires a "girls just want to feel pretty" accessory.

Maybe there's some sort of method to all of this madness after all.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment