Friday, August 7, 2009

the motherhood

There's something quite beautiful to me about a newborn's head all soft and fuzzy and especially so when it's a c-section baby who doesn't look like the newest member of the conehead family. Miles Anthony David finally got birthed after giving his momma fits for about 32 hours. I was sweetly surprised to witness her poise and grace while she trudged through that long labor what with all the family commotion in the birthing room. Early yesterday morning before the hordes arrived, I snuck in to have a private moment with her before she came "another one of my kids who HAS a kid". We sat in the gentle sunshine of early morning and talked about the progress and what she needs at the shower that won't happen until after the birth, as it works out. Nothing like having the baby present!

Earlier in the week one of my other daughters showed up after I was in the bed, needing to vent about something. She's having a tough time because HER mom has moved to Chicago for awhile to care for aging parents. She stood by my bed, going off Anna style, and then she began to sob. "I just want to crawl up in my mama's lap and cry!" Boy, do I know THAT feeling. We hugged until it passed, me horizontal and her upright bawling like a baby. Just another day in paradise.

Working in a hospital has given me plenty of opportunity to witness the joy of new life and the passage of it toward the next and mucho better place. I was talking to my co-worker today about how that has helped to strengthen my faith. I guess i sort of see it as a ministry within a job at the sawmill.

Welcome to the world little dude. For what it's worth, we've got your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment