Wednesday, November 29, 2023

and then there were none

I have never "not" had a dog.  In fact I have had three at a time because living in the country is a wonderful life for a pet.  I woke up to find Oscar asleep on the bathroom floor and me with a huge bag leak at 5:30.  I knew that my vet friend was coming at 7:15 so I got cleaned up and waited sadly for him to arrive.  Positioning myself on the floor he was in my lap and I cradled his head while the doc checked him out and did the deed.  Most of my pets have just died and we buried them with the exception of Butterbean who had a broken back and couldn't stand or even sit.  We propped her up with pillows and except for that she was alert and happy.  Lauren was driving and I was holding BB in my lap when Sam darted in front of the car sensing that something was wrong and we HIT him.  LP headed onto the vet and I stayed back to look for Sam.  He was fine and lived many more years until I was at home recovering from the near death surgery.  My sweet neighbor Gerald buried him in front of the old barn out back of the old house.  In the rain and cold.

I missed our porch time today but I know that he is not suffering anymore.  I have this special cake that gets made for one friend per year.  Triple fudge bundt cake coming y'alls way.  One year Ellie ate the top off of one of them and I just filled it in with icing.  You have to put that shit up HIGH for labs!

I've never hesitated to try and save animals from an untimely death.  We learned early on that if  you don't do spay there will be 15 interbed kittens in the basement.  True story.  Penny died down there at the foot of the basement steps.  I think the coyotes got Miller.  We have had sooooo many that I can't remember all their names.  But I remember how they loved me.  Rosie is staying close which is good.  I could use a good snuggle buddy for the winter.  I hear the rednecks over in Middle City shooting so I guess it's almost bed time.  Thank you all for your compassion.  And remind me to tell you the story about the dawgs that BG picked up ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment