Tuesday, August 1, 2023

circle the wagons

There comes a time in everyone's life when it takes a village.  I love being a part of that!  I have many older dear friends that I share joys with like Marilyn who turned 90 yesterday.  Her birthday party was fabulous and just like something I would have done for my own mother.  Just like I sat and talked with all the others.  Elders need somebody to talk with to pass the time.  Somebody who adapts to their routine and forms a bond, so to speak.  My parents had Ms Faye for several years.  She cleaned and cooked her little heart out.  Rest in peace honey ^j^

I attended a very important meeting yesterday that was organized by the Salvation Army to find out who has what resources for those in need. We are talking homeless or about to be, and starving.  Living in hotels and cars and whatnot.  With kids.  While at the meeting I saw a lot of folks go by to pick up what was out front.  That is an amazing ministry to the underserved. There was a lot of talk in letters that I wasn't familiar with but a couple of them shared their info.  The army director will write it up and I took pictures.  And both mayors were there!  I'm impressed Lisa.

Elizabeth gets registered for kindergarten on Thursday and I can't wait to see how she grows and learns.  She is already smart and knows what's up.  I contribute that to great co-parenting and a strong bond with all families.  Our tribe grew when she was born and it has turned into a great big bunch of good things for her.  

August 4th is the date that my daddy died after a week in ICU and 2 days on in-patient hospice.  I remember the last time we talked, and it was me and Bubba present.  I'm not sure what he said to me ( i want to die or i want a pie?) but he had lung problems from extensive surgery and was struggling to breathe.  Hospice began shortly after.  It took about 48 hours but he was peaceful.  I got the call about 5 in the morning from my late friend Ms. Anita who was making rounds and pulling blood.  My friends on 2N did their job well.  In hospice care, no further interventions are allowed.  No Iv. No feeding tube.  No dialysis.  Just lots of comfort.  I seriously want to go that way.

My interest in palliative care began when Lauren was a teenager and we wrote her senior term paper about that very subject.  I was all into John Bradshaw and Scott Peck and Melodie Beattie.  And I was learning about how to let go and let god.  I also read I'm Okay, You're Okay in high school if that tells you anything.

The heat has backed off a bit for now, Thanks be to you sweet babyjeebus and your Father.  The one true God j







No comments:

Post a Comment