Saturday, March 15, 2014

let not your heart be troubled

I go to bed so early that usually, even on days off, I'm up and at'em by 8. This morning's plans included the funeral of one of my parents' SS class peeps. I sat in awe facing the altar that has been my focus for many years, and did some serious people watching. Thank goodness we got there early enough for me to visit my favorite branches on that family tree. Claudia, Betsy, Johnny and I are all the same age. My childhood friend the funeral director was there as well, running the thing like only she can do...with class and charisma. There was a family baby seated in the next pew up and he spoke up so his mama had to take a break. Precious stuff! I always think about things like that as the future of the oats we've sown in previous generations. One thing is for sure, it is solidly entrenched in that church on the corner of Main and McGaughey. I am a fourth generation Methodist. The choir loft that I sat in for years as an alto has been removed and replaced with seating behind the pulpit which is, shall we say, MUCH safer than climbing those ancient steps. I've almost taken a tumble on more than one occasion.

The Sellers class comes often to the eggs and doughnut joint that is our favorite when "in the mood" which is kinda' cool for us in that they get to visit and have fellowship outside of the church walls. I've watched their number shrink as one spouse or another dies and sometimes they even marry each other because really? You can trust somebody you know that well to be true. Even so, a prenup is vital because there's nothing worse than step kids fighting over money. My parents had nothing near what most of them had in terms of family money, but they managed to fit in very nicely. They were quite the power couple back in their day.

So, actually I've been to church and it's only Saturday. It's warm out and sunny so far. There are more sticks to pick up and pile so that the 'dozer can clean up my redneck mess of a yard. My mama would die if she knew how it looked...ditto for my room. That's okay though. It's my life.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment