Sunday, March 2, 2014

as the world turns

Oh.my.Jesus it's STILL winter and the ice is beginning to coat trees and bushes. I feel like a mole who's been burrowing around in the dark. Me and mama both hate to sweat and we reminded each other not to bitch when it turns off hot and humid. Which we totally will, of course. Because we can. Brunch today was at Mary Lou's where the dressing is almost as good as my mother's and the rest is great too. Real homemade pie ya'll. She's been in the restaurant business all her life and her two sons and grandson help run the show. Family tradition, so to speak. Mama wanted her strawberries over ice cream and they fixed her up in no time. My brother and his wife smile out from one of the pictures under the glass that includes generations of pilots. Mary Lou's b'friend Neal is quite a talented artist and his creations adorn the walls of the small cafe.

My ethereal friend Lorna has been in the keys for about six months an recently returned home because her mama's sick. It's really cool how two old gals from different west tennessee counties found that farming and pecans was something we had in common. I grew up knowing about everything that happens on one, not realizing at the time how much of the whole thing depends on the weather. Mama said she will never remember the crop where daddy gazed out the windows of our log cabin day after day watching it rot.You've never smelled stink unless you've been around a bunch of soybeans that got flooded. Ick and meh.


Got a call from brother today in Miami as he gets ready to board the cruise ship. His cabinmates are having a big time and there will most likely be lots of pics with Kid Rock et.al. Happy trails Bubba! Other brother of the younger sibling variety is bracing for several more inches of snow as that big winter storm marches across the map. Here's my theory: The Arctic areas are melting at such a fast pace that it's created a cooling effect as the vapor drifts around. Hey..it could be right, you know? Not until you try, will you know. I do know that we have no business getting all up in Russia's or Ukraine's or anybody's government disruptions. Our duty to the ones living now and those who are to come is to at least leave it better than we found it, trashed and burning. Meanwhile the bonehead Congress we've got is intent on cutting services to those who have served their country in the military and returned as a broken mass of PTSD. It was bad, ya'll. My friend Steven found himself and his partner on a search and rescue mission and they switched positions. Sean died as he watched the hatred of zealots rained down on people with western ways. Tell me again how it wasn't all about oil.

On the flip side there are various opportunities to be distracted and forget about it all and one of those for me is writing. I rarely plan a subject and try to work around it to the meaning of the title. Which brings me around to my grandma Lottie who used to watch her "stories" on BandW TV and get off on other folks and their drama. I suppose we still do that today only with reality shows instead of fictional bored housewives. As the World Turns was her show and Days of Our Lives was mine. At some point, I decided that reality can be what you make it and decided to say how I feel, when I feel it and sorry if you can't deal with it, but. Umm. Hyper-obedience was once a flaw in my character. As in "i went to therapy for that". Now I don't care who you are even if you're the mighty Putin, I WILL call you out if I see mistreatment of others in any form or fashion of you step on my last nerve. In that case it depends on how annoying you are.

Booger has had a great birthday weekend being passed around and patted like the seriously cute Gerber baby that he is. He is pretty enough to eat and giggles like the baby that he is when tickled or played with. Little dude stayed here in the office the other day climbing the bookcase while I listened to music and tapped away. I can tell that my vision is failing so this desktop will need to be replaced with something easier to maneuver. I mean it's a 6 year old overloaded Dell with my mother's vision assistance keyboard. All yellow keys!

The buttercup buds right outside my bathroom window will likely get bit tomorrow night but there's always more. I'm listening to inspirational music today mixed with blues, rock'n'roll and classical. Some country. Lots of classic rock. Music is a mosaic of what life has been to me, much like the stained glass windows that I mentioned in the forward for my book.

Peace ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment