Sunday, January 29, 2023

foggy bottoms

The fog can lay in really heavy when the weather is thus and so and today is a doozie.  Following a week of decent weather we are about to head into more rain and or ice or both which does not interest me at all.  I guess I'm just old and jaded.  Novemblah and February are my least favorite months because of all the rain and whatnot.  SADD is for real y'all.  Even with a hefty Vitamin D supplement I am tired to the bone and having to give myself pep talks to keep going.  This afternoon is chill time with Lauren in Jackson for a day or two tying up loose ends.  I was actually sad to see her go but glad that she has the support from friends to be closer to Reaves and work and the doctors.  Surgery is on Thursday so let's all pray about that one.  She should have details following her pre-op visits tomorrow.

I lost another great friend this past week.  I was Calvin Moore's errand runner for several years going to the stores that he couldn't navigate with just one leg in a wheelchair.  He was meticulous about things in his apartment, especially the antiques and Christmas decorations.  I put the garland over the huge mirror on more than one occasion and hauled trees out of the extra bathroom.  He would come out of his "office" to direct the whole thing.  One of my jobs weekly was to go to the bank and ask for hand rolled quarters, not the minted ones.  Dude was on a wild hunt for the eagle ones.  

Lauren's cat Henry got out of the house this morning while I was getting ready for church.  He followed Rosie out and she turned up first because, of course, she's an in and outer.  Henry has been strictly a house cat for most of his life.  She finally found him and he is in training to "be more like Rosie."  After a few days of hissing and hiding they are fast friends and play like brother and sister.  They are roughly the same age.  

Church was great and I was really impressed with our youth and the way they conducted our service.  There were some tears on my part as I wandered back down memory lane to when I was on the youth council there with our first ever associate who had the wisdom to give us some kind of structure.  After church I called him, Larry Tubb, to tell him how much I appreciated his impact on my young life.  He is now 81 and serving a rural church that has about three attendees.  As blessings go, his wife Gwen is trained in ostomy care so we had a long conversation about my dilemma.  I will be on my doctor's doorstep tomorrow if I don't get a call setting me up with the prescription and referral that he promised.  Old folks with medical knowledge make persistent patients.  One of the things that I've learned over the years is to be the first patient du jour so as not to get caught up in the never ending waiting room for hours.  

Y'all be faithful and remember from whence you came ^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment