Wednesday, September 7, 2022

fall breeze

Today, for the first time, it felt almost like fall even with temps in the 80s.  I bet tomorrow morning will be a good one for a walk.   My mother loved autumn because she was all into football games and such.  I could care less.  It's just not my thing but I enjoy seeing other folks getting excited about it.  I talked with a friend today whose mother recently had surgery and I was stunned that they ended up in a Missouri hospital because that was the only only one available.  Dyersburg had no surgeon on call and Jackson and Memphis were all full.  This does not bode well for our futures, y'all.  Holiday weekends are the worst.  

When I had the ginormous surgery at Baptist East it so happened that I was there on Martin Luther King day and my surgeon had taken the weekend off.  I had not eaten in about 10 days and was supposed to go on solids but it didn't happen because he was off.  Oops.  His partner came to see me on Saturday and I was in such a stupor I forgot to ask for real food.  I mean, the order had already been changed.  My transfer to rehab was a trail of paperwork that took four days because of the holiday.  I got a bed bath every other day and ate well but had nothing for sleep.  Essentially, I went three weeks without sleep including the time in rehab.  

I don't blame the surgeon because I just fell through the cracks.  He saved my life and apologized profusely when he showed up that MLK day and I still had not eaten.  The healthcare infrastructure is broken y'all.  It has been for many years.  When I started work in the field it was mostly county owned community facilities.  Then the big fish started eating the little fish and there you go.  Capitalism at its' finest.  

My cousin has been sitting in a federal prison for many years for planning to do something that didn't happen.  Every time he comes up for parole the other side shows up to keep him in.  To compare and contrast, the guy who murdered the Memphis jogger was out with a rap sheet as long as your feet.  Released after serving an 85% sentence with "extra points" for doing chores.  Sweet baby jeebus!   

Keeping the faith here ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment