Sunday, November 2, 2014

the plot thickens

I went to bed at 7 last night and set the alarm for 10AM, just in time for daddy pick-up. I was still VERY deep in REM when he called at 7 this morning to come tend to mama. Seems she had broken her ankle or something. Okay, then. As it turned out I was able to twist it every which'a'way and there was no screaming in pain like 10 on that face scale thing. Was there a fall? No. When did it start? Um, yesterday. What we have here is an 81 year old women who is almost completely blind and can't walk because of a broken leg. And my OCD father is her caretaker other than home health and you know who between jobs. "Something's gotta' give."

I'm not alone in this by any means. Lorna and I were chatting this morning and decided that healthcare is about to become what it's meant to be which is preventive care but NOOOOOOO. Insurance,pharm and diagnostics don't get paid as well when people are healthy. The true public health crisis at this point is access to afford preventive care in a learning environment. Hell I pay for dental insurance every year and can't afford the co-pay. Something is wrong with this picture, ya think? Why not teach a child how not to become diabetic in middle age? What about birth control and early abortion as an alternative to having kids because the check is bigger. This is by no means a racial issue but one that all Americans are dealing with at a time when the fat cats are sipping dirty martinis and Congress is chomping at the bit over mid-terms.

I feel very vulnerable right now, like almost beaten down but not quite yet. It would probably only take a miracle or two to keep me believing but I'm mighty weary. I hauled this end table up from the attic yesterday and knocked some of the mold off of it for a special project. If not for me? Somebody else will want it. I have no answers or solutions to our problems. All I can do is roll with it and keep the faith.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Poopie, I do not envy your position right now. Your mom needs more help than your dad (in his state of mind/health) can give her. I cannot imagine how hard it is for you to deal with the two of them. I hope that something will make that easier, although I don't know what that would be. It's very hard to keep the faith - but hang in there.

    ReplyDelete