Monday, December 19, 2011

free at last, free at last

Well, the score officially stands at 1 for that stubborn ass horse and zero for both myself and my brother. After firing up the electric wire only to have him proudly step over it toward the green stuff, we made an executive decision to let him roam. Until he either gets to the highway or on the airport runway, it's all good. The gate is open now and he comes and goes whenever he feels like it. The menu is wonderful what with all of the people giving him treats. Having a horse in your yard is not so really far fetched. My friend Sue had a swimming pool that ended up full of her brothers cows one year. Tore the HELL out of that liner getting them out, ya'll. Her young daughter was standing on the diving board in new school clothes waving her arms around to her them right smack into the water and through the fence. Pricelss memories!

Per our usual Sunday routine, breakfast will be served but at a different location. While Mom and Daddy go to church, we'll cook up the feast in her kitchen ready for their return trip to the red log cabin that we all came our home place. I remember the last time our entire family was together but it's been a long time. My youngest brother put up a tripod and shot the entire crew in front of their stone fireplace. That would be the one that caught the house on fire right before we were leaving to attend a Led Zeppelin concert. Yep..she loved me even then :) I have this ornery streak in me (see:stafford) that got a'hold of my social conscience at an early age when the law was shooting kids on college campuses for standing up for their beliefs. Pepper spray on peaceful protesters is the new age/politically correct way of doing the same. At least they're not making us cry on camera for YouTube.

My doors are locked at all times now because there are still folks everywhere scrounging around for 'cans. The hard freeze came late, even by southern standards, so they are ready to go. A few have permission....most are just checking out the experience of picking up something free from mother nature. If I

lived to be a thousand, I could never bend and stoop enough to pay the propane guy, though. I'm an old gal and did good to pick up 20 pounds of stuarts for baking and whatnot. Mama decided she wanted some chex mix yesterday so I hijacked all the cereal and mixed some up. She called me three times to tell me that she wanted her "little tornadoes" back. She has found her inner smartass, I do believe.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment