Monday, May 30, 2011

pregnant golf

I sincerely hope that all ya'll ate as well as I did today at the sawmill. There wasn't any BBQ but I could really care less about that unless it's hot off the grill with the black stuff stuck all over the outside. Yep...I'm a snob like that. We pooled our resources up there and ate like the champs that we are, all at one table at some point saying grace that we have jobs and play well together. The emergency department was ( of course ) packed out since all the clinics were off for the "holiday."

Me and my roomie had kinda sorta made a date to tour the bottoms this afternoon when I got off, but we ended up on the golf course with his pregnant daughter and her fella. The guys had already played 18 holes and just had to do 9 more, so they taught me how to drive a golf cart. There was probably some kind of method in that madness....time will tell. I imagine I'll be the one keeping the baby while THEY play, which will be okay. After two days in the sun at Gigi's pool I was already a nice shade of burgandy. It's a nice little course owned by the city that has been, for the most part, ignored since the country club set started playing at their high priced location some twenty five years ago. I will never forget when the powers that be of our fair city attempted to pull the public domain thing on the 75 acres from Samaria Bend up the hill on Pecan Lane to "enhance" the golfing experience so as to attract corporate attention to the 'burg. This same bunch built a superhighway right up to the front door of one of our oldest industries which now employs around 150 people. Your tax dollars at work, right? It ended up alright with the owner who just happened to be an attorney flying in at just the right moment to meet with the board and explain how this farm is his heritage and he would see them in court. It never happened, and some contractor made several million constructing the new course and the houses that surround it like little boxes. All I can say is praise the Lord I've still got my up close and personal view of farmland and history.

Every year at the end of May, the weather turns off hot and humid and stays that way until we beg for mercy and get a big fat cool front. This year? If you're a farmer on high ground, look for a bonus. That is, unless the locusts come and eat the crops. Ain't I just a ray of sunshine?

On this day, the day that we honor military folks who have lived and died to protect our rights as Americans, I say thank you for believing when I haven't. Thank you for giving your lives and your service to a greater good. As my happy friend ME says : "No matter where you go, there you are."

1 comment:

  1. Love that: no matter where you go, there you are. Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete