Friday, May 6, 2011

leave a message at the beep

Some say that I'm a little rough around the edges, bordering occasionally on plain old outspoken and honest. I try to do that in nice ways with a bit of humor but sometimes you just have to come right out with it because...honestly. There are folks who just don't get that they're idiots. What are you talking about??? I didn't do THAT! You're just wearing your feelings on your sleeves and all so get "over it" is what I was told today when I confronted a particularly passive aggressive co-worker on sending someone to fetch me from lunch to do something she could have easily done herself had she not been brain dead at the moment. Or maybe that was the point...just to piss me off. News flash....it worked. Pin that little gold star on your labcoat and wear it proudly biatch. You broke me today and from now on, my dear, you a a big honking zero in my book. I'll not be mean or even unfriendly. You'll never even know you've been blasted into outer space. We never talked much anyway because you repeat yourself fifty times a day telling the same stories over and over again. That gets filtered out quickly what with all the white noise and other activity like laughter.

The Zpak didn't seem to be helping much, and laryngitis has set in so while I killed time waited for the Dodge ferry to take me home for the weekend, I swung by the urgent care to let nurse Jane have a look. I was only off for four days following the February funk, and have been hittin' it non-stop ever since then so I was kinda compromised going into this one, which is a real doozy. Long story short...pneumonia. The past three years have been a never ending trail of stress, worry and hard work with no break at all in the routine. The budget lack of funds would not allow it. Finally my BG has a job and will become a paying roommate again, just like back in the day. We are each other's heroes at the moment, and that's a damn good feeling. Only she and her BF and I know what we've been through together as a family. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Guess you'll just have to read the book.

Physical and emotional exhaustion are a dangerous combination anytime, and particularly so when your physical health begins to suffer. In my younger days I learned early to not be TOO much of a go-getter because that lowers the bar where you have no wiggle room. Being too productive leads management to think that normal performance is slacking. I refuse to be the poster child for that myth any longer. I I had a do-over, I'd spend less time trying to climb the corporate ladder and more time with my sick child and husband or caring for myself and my parents. Maybe next life.

The Mississippi ain't done yet but the Forked Deer has halted so there's that good news. Tell that to all the folks in South Dyersburg and from Big Boy Junction on. Their news isn't nearly as good. While I've had just a tad big of inconvenience with transportation, these people are literally losing all that they have, including their ways of making a living. There will be FEMA trailers and money exchanged, but that doesn't replace the homestead in anybody's heart. Our mayor was on the national news today with the chicken store in the background as he remoted from the scene of last year's total devastation. Which is exactly why nobody has built back there...once bitten, twice shy.

I got a shot in each butt cheek and enough pills to last through my three day weekend and beyond. Over and out from Pecan Lane. And happy Mother's day to everybody who has ever known the joy of being one in some form or fashion be it mentoring or by blood or even by adopting a pet. Wherever mama is, that's where we call it home.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. Wow, now that's a whole mouthful and then some. I'm going to have to light a fire under you girl. We all want to read that book someday sooner rather than later.
    I know, I know, you need to rest first. Well, get better real quick like, so you can climb back into the saddle.
    Sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, like Joe said... *ahem*, how GOES that book?

    ReplyDelete