Saturday, May 14, 2011

learning to exhale

It's only 4PM but the clouds are gathered around my hill, bidding goodbye to this latest front..the one that is ushering in a true blackberry winter. Bring it on, I say. The easier to breathe with. My super smart PA friend hooked me up with some serious asthma/allergy medicine that has done more to solve the problem than all the other pills combined. Sometimes you have to get to the root of the problem, per se. We are all breathing sewage and mold due to the standing water, so there ya go. It's a haven for allergens! After a week off to recover, I returned to the sawmill this morning and promptly began to sneeze. Hmmmm.

Daddy made it through his pneumonia and returned home Thursday afternoon with his boots in tow. There is no way in the world to ever explain how nice it is to be able to talk to your co-workers and offer an up-close and personal view of "the patient's" current state of affairs prior to hospital admission. Occasionally a family member will know what's up and can tell it to you real quick, the condensed version of course. That includes current meds and recent diagnoses. If you wait for medical records to fetch the chart and the ER doc to read it, it's just easier...and a pure delight for them...when somebody knows what's up. My flooded out roommate is learning the drill as BOTH of his parents were admitted on the day that my own father was dismissed. Such is life in the fast lane. I read today that the insurance companies are posting record profits in spite of, or because of, the fact that most people are putting healthcare on the back burner because of high out of pocket costs even when they and their employers pay for premiums. Working for insurance....that's the term that describes most of MY generation, those precious baby boomers who saw a helluva lot of history take place while we were learning to be adults. And, for the record? That sucks. I've always wanted to just be the baby.

Armageddon may be just around the corner, but I refuse to buy into that mindset. For whatever time I have left here on mother earth, I will try to take each day as it comes and find something beautiful and not be left behind. There's this guy who has a whole 'nother life doing impersonating Elvis and he does maintenance at BG's new job. I've seen him bars and such but never entertaining the seniors with his moves. That's on my bucket list now. Faith is headed to her home away from home and the boys are hanging around here keeping me company until I decide to turn in.

Last time I looked Louisiana is busting levees and opening floodgates in an attempt to keep from dropping off into the Gulf like a big chunk of mud. I'm expecting a tsunami before it's all over. But only if the New Madrid fault decides to shift and create another Reelfoot Lake. That was in the 1800s, so we're probably due for an earthquake of "epic proportions" as the MSM sez.

Time will tell ^j^

1 comment: