Saturday, January 23, 2010

pick your battles

My Kentucky cousin and I were chatting about college basketball today and how the alums of certain universities will throw all kinds of money at a coach just to get him or her and keep them, as long as they win. Everybody loves a winner, you know. UK's coach got a 1.4M sign-on bonus and 3M per year during his contract. He used to be a U of M tiger, but that went by the wayside for some reason or another. Go figure.

I attended the University of Memphis back in the day when it was still Memphis State, studying organic chemistry, quantitative analysis, sociology, parasitology, genetics and German, of all things. I was tickled to death to get a D in German and get the hell out. I roomed in this high rise dorm with a girl that I graduated high school with and barely knew. I was there for one year, before transferring to the UT Center for Health Sciences in the same town but much closer to the Mighty Mississippi. THAT dorm was across the street from Forrest Park where the pervs and drunks tend to roam all over and do their thing. I guess the cops are busy busting crackheads or something. Shelby County has a lot of issues and most of 'em don't have anything to do with Elvis or BBQ. At least they've got a shot with a new mayor, bless their hearts. It can't hurt, if you know what I mean.

Me and BG and the BF had a late night yesterday, sending our dear friend Jerry off to Afghanistan with a drunken fire and many hugs. He's a part of their unbroken circle, so he's one of mine too. In his honor (or my stupidity) I did the second Yager bomb of my lifetime. I think Big Ernie would approve. Somebody please tell me why we are taking care of the entire world when our country is falling apart at the seams. It's all funny money until the slave labor countries call in their debts and shoot our asses with nukler missles. I admire what celebrities are doing to raise money for Haitians, but I have to wonder if they do the same for their own villages.

It's all relative ^j^


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was wondering that myself. What if we took that sorta money and dumped into the good ole USA? Again.. not that I think Haiti should be ignored, it just...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I too was wondering about that. But c'est la vie. What can we the little people do about it, eh? I sent in my donation to the Red Cross to help out, it was matched by the federal government of Canada and with that $50 million of our money goes to help. But what about the homeless and addicted here in BC?

    ReplyDelete