Monday, July 27, 2009

the patient's advocate

My official job title is MT,ASCP, Tennessee licensed laboratory supervisor. There were four years of college and a lot of bullshit over the years that validate that title. We work our tails off to reduce medical error and increase productivity which is, in a sense, math. How the hell I ever ended up in THAT field is beyond me. Never did like crunching numbers. Patient contact is very limited which is not my style at all because, hey. I do love me some people ;)

On occasion, when someone near and dear is hospitalized I step out of those shoes and go to visit, unofficially of course. It's a very effective way to see patient care up close and personal. Today I tried three times before I caught my old friend's Mom what with all the tests and treatments and such. We have visited at the bedside before, usually talking about her sons whom she adores. She's one of those tough old broads who won't cry because she wants them to think she's a-OK. It is an in-between place that I've seen many aging patients pass through in the various stages of denial bargaining, anger and acceptance. The goal for a successful passage is to have as many family members as possible on the same page when it comes to care. From my experience, that doesn't happen very often. I held her hand while she cried today, scared out of her wits because she doesn't know what's coming next. Her last surgery was in November so she's still not 100% back from that and in a lot of pain. She lives alone in an older rural home. So far, she still drives for errands and church. When I spend ten minutes with somebody who trusts me like that, the rest of it is just punchin' a clock. It's an advantage to working in a home town hospital.

I could have gone on the road a few years back as a contract tech for the bucks that I desperately need. That window of opportunity slipped away when my parents became dependent on me as part of the team that guides them through "the golden years." Maybe my tendency to procrastinate has worked in the family's favor. I plan to be here with them until there is no reason not to be and then....well, I'm not sure. We take it one day at a time here on Pecan Lane.

Maybe that's when Sugardaddy will show up with the glass slipper. No, wait. That was Santa Claus or Prince Charming. Awww...ya'll know what I mean.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, that sucks.....they crying part.

    I truly believe that all things happen for a reason. So if that reason is that others close to you needed you, then that was it. He has His plans.
    Big hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete