Friday, July 31, 2009

faith and butters and sam and bg and me

We all piled up on her new mattress today to watch a movie. She had read the book and I knew the ending but I did it anyways. It was an incredibly cleansing ugly cry, as Okra would say. Big old sobs from the heart. I reckon we were due for a relaxed afternoon and a good spiritual cleansing what with all the family drama of late.

Fronto temporal dementia is a very rare sort of disease where the patient remembers most everything about the past, but is bound by the devils of OCD and loss of speech. Eventually they become mute, and I'd say we're almost there. It is a particularly obnoxious disease process for family members like my mama who is stuck in the house with her husband of 55 years while he loses his mind and she loses her vision and bone mass.

Meals on wheels and home health do their part but there's nothing like family to make it all better when times are hard. I'm thankful for the other members of our care team. That's what the hospice philosophy is all about.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a lot to go through for your momma. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words to express my feelings for you. I will pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete