Wednesday, December 16, 2015

the bus

This morning I almost murdered a raccoon on the way to work and as usual took the shortcut to sawmill because Main street is ( still ) closed.  As I got close to the hospital street I first noticed the Fisher house all aglow and then the downhill of Speedway.  There were two rescue vehicles and three cop cars and as I crept through I heard a guy say "Now ma'am what have you got stirred up?"  Ten minutes later at work I found out that somebody was beating her and she cut a motha'.  Last I heard he was on the way somewhere they have lots of blood.

Mom was pretty out of it early on and hadn't slept much.  She did manage to eat some breakfast but lunch was where the drama started.  Nurse G called me to report that she had choked while eating lasagna and had to be suctioned.  When I got there she didn't know who/what/when/where and was still struggling to breathe.  She didn't know me and was unresponsive looking toward heaven and Daddy.  I held her hand and as she talked about being afraid to rest because what if she doesn't wake up.  What if she dies in her sleep????  Lord, please bless me in that way.  All that commotion caused a cardiac event which was evident pretty quickly on the EKG.  Thus, a hurried up ICU transport and one tired smartass country girl.  I told the nurses that Mo is my sister so that she could do 5PM visitation and report back.   There were heroes all around in this scenario and that will be reported to the ones who matter.  It was a true team effort and it astounds me how quickly things can go when the proverbial shit hits the fan.  To my co-workers: good job.

During the in between time from hypoxia to reality, she was talking about a bus and getting to church.  She wasn't dressed so that was a huge deal!  She wanted to know why those people were in that bus.  I kind of made stuff up and kept asking "what bus" until she got a bit more lucid.  Mo has told me that Granny talked about the bus a lot, and that gives me comfort.  She struggled with a mother whose dementia robbed both of them of their last years together.  At least mine has retained enough  brain cells to have a conversation in which she tells me what to do because "I'm your mother."

Just got the Sista' Mo update and all is well with Janice Ann.

Believe ~

No comments:

Post a Comment