Thursday, January 15, 2015

transparency

We slept hard last night, all exhausted from being crazy busy at work and hard at play, in the case of the four doggies. Ryder is in heat and has a gentleman caller which will probably not have a good ending but it is what it is. If and when the money gets right she'll get a visit to the vet to stop that nonsense. She got pregnant at a year old and that's how Sophie came to be. It's really odd thinking about how she was the only one left out of Faith's lone litter...the one that eventually took her life as she lay in my lap. Pyometra is a bad way to go and an excellent reason for spaying. I've a few dogs that were "chosen" but the majority just kind of fell into my life through by not so obvious reason or another.

I've been working for almost 38 years and I must say that yesterday was one of the busiest I can ever remember in modern times. With a packed house and lots of sick folk streaming in, it was non-stop. There are a lot of reasons for all that but I'll not dwell on them because I have a day off to piddle. I'll be back there soon enough, ya' know? So here's what's on my mind today now that I'm not surrounded by people: Judgement is mine, saith the Lord. Before any of you out there choose to shame or belittle someone take a little time to examine motivation. While someone "in authority" will always be a reality, using that power to control and or humiliate someone is wrong. That applies to governments on down to the street level of humanity. I see it every day in some form or fashion and tend to avoid people who live that way if possible because I'm all live and let live. It's how I keep my sanity, plus my house has way too many windows to be throwing stones. AND there's a log in my own eye.

It's warm enough to not leave the water running now and I dread the utility bill that will come with this past few weeks of sub-freezing temps. It has stayed steady (way too high) during the winter which tells me that TVA is just slapping some numbers around because they can. At one time, the electricity was reasonable except during the hot summer months. Now it's just out the roof all the time. What began as a "temporary" surcharge to recover damage from ash spills and whatnot has turned into a permanent fixture on our monthly bills. My local provider kindly explained to me that is why they separate the charges on the bill, to reflect what their charge is and what THEIR supplier is adding on top for who knows what, now. Adding insult to injury, ATT cut my internet off yesterday over 42 bucks which isn't something you should do to someone who isn't contracted to use your service...just saying. I hear it's snowing in Lake County but nothing here yet so far. bG is on the way to Jackson to pick up her tooth which broke off of the retainer. She was born with a congenitally missing front tooth and refuses to smile naturally without something in that gap! What was once planned to be an implant has turned into Affordable Dentures because the $$ isn't there. But, I digress.

I got a card the other day from a friend in Florida and it dawned on me that the handwriting strongly resembles that of my beloved BlogFairy. It would be so like her to pull that off anonymously and then let me figure it out on down the road. Truth be told? It really doesn't matter who because there are lots of people capable of that kind of miracle working. That I was chosen for who I am is something that can never be taken away. I like to think of my history here on the farm in that way too. I don't own and can't defend where I live, but it's been my life and the history of my family and it is uniquely ours.

So Rand Paul is revving up because he sees Bush and Romney getting shot down but calling people on disability out is not a good way to start. I dare say if you did a political poll among recipients there would be just as many Republicans as Democrats. Yes, the system is badly flawed but it was put in place to help people who are legitimately not able to work and support themselves. KY cousin tried for years to get it for CHF and bad knees yet died young before she saw the money. That was almost two years ago and still no ashes. If I know her the way I think I did, she would want her remains to be close to her beloved father Jimbo.

Things are pretty quiet at Casa Grands but that can change at any moment so don't hold your breath on continued good fortune. Since the broken leg is healed and without a brace Mom is using both legs equally and now the other knee that was septic is twisting and turning out from under her. Little things like being able to carry something are beyond her reach as she toddles around on her walker. Add blindness to that and you get a situation that can go south in a heartbeat. I chant to her now "never let go!"

I got a wild hair, literally, the other night and cut mine with manicure scissors, tired as hell of seeing my face framed with dull locks pulled back in a clip. My co-workers finished up the little bits that I missed and it was all free. I am almost completely gray now and will probably remain that way until the budget allows a visit to the salon the dolla' gentral for some cheap color. My goal for this year is to barter for as many goods and services as possible.

Come on spring ~






No comments:

Post a Comment