Thursday, June 6, 2013

see you in court

And so it came to pass that on my final day as a Panel C juror we were summoned unto the judge ON MY DAY OFF for jury selection on the only case that has been presented to this group. And being in Dyersburg which is a haven for meth addicts, the charge was initiation of the manufacture of said methamphetamine. Dude had a wily and seasoned somewhat ass of a criminal attorney at his table with a district attorney and drug task force member at the other. Two cops sat outside waiting to testify. The entire process of selecting a jury took an hour and the rest of us were free to fly. Burden of proof notwithstanding, I can't imagine anybody trying to beat that charge unless they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Anywho, no more justice for this old gal for awhile, anyway.

I remember being in that same courtroom almost 30 years ago for a public hearing on the sale of our county owned hospital to a non-profit out of Memphis. At that time two of them were battling for the rights to Highway 51 and the towns on it as feeders for their Memphis facilities. Methodist Healthcare bid 10M over market value and Baptist said "it's yours." Methodist bought 7 facilities in western Tennessee and kept them for many many years until the "vision" changed from feeding the hubs to doing transplants. That's when they unloaded us and didn't look back. Rumor has it that the county owes some of us pension funds because most of us got nothing from them after the sale, not even a kiss. I have very fond memories of the people that I've worked with over the years, especially the nurse who was administrator at the end. He got thrown under the bus as well. In court this morning one of the lawyers asked a potential juror why he had quit the police force after only 9 months. His response was that there was too much politics! Hah. It's everywhere you know. To find an organization that is dedicated to quality without sacrificing compassionate care is very rare. Most every thing revolves around $$ and everyone knows that. We were discussing getting "dooced" at the work the other day since the latest Big Brother tactic is for employers to monitor social media habits of their people. I can see this to a point, but as long as I'm not bashing anybody specifically or breaking HIPPA laws, what I do on my own time is my business.

It's hot'n'humid per typical June weather in TN. My windows will be all foggy until it dries up if ever. We got lucky on the mowing last year because of no rain but it's growing like crazy this time. I have found myself lately wondering where in the world BF is because she's so unpredictable and that's half the fun. If BF turns out to be a man, I apologize but I just don't see a man's touch on the personal gifts that I've received. Our previous on again/off again roomie who raised Faith with us brought some knockout rose bushes and planted them on her grave. They're absolutely gorgeous and doing quite well telling me that faith is not dead at all.

Keeping it ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment