Tuesday, June 25, 2013

for this i went to college?

One of the items up in the news of my home state, the "volunteer" one is that the governor (who shall remain nameless to confuse the NSA) has cut teacher's starting salaries to 30K when nine tenths of them graduate from the great and almighty University of Tennessee, former home to million dollar coaches like Pat Summitt and Phil Fulmer. The price of a secondary education in even a state university is not in the budget of most parents so the kids have to borrow to get that degree. Now, mind you this was just about the time of the bank failures when she called me howling and said her loan money wasn't there and she couldn't start social work school. I should have seen it as an omen. My own education was paid for partially by myself with help from parents. I've given BG a soft place to land but she found the determination to get that degree on her own dime. And still, she has no job.

I felt a tinge of recognition as I read a piece today about my generation, the boomers, and how we just got cheated all the way around by Wall street. It's only just now that the bailouts and attempts to jumpstart the American economy are being taken seriously while our leaders bang on their chests and play Big Ike. I will respect you if you earn it POTUS, and so far you're not doing too well. It has taken until now to even begin to think about the terms in cost of dollars and human lives that the Halliburton fiasco caused. It wasn't until Obama was elected that people like me had a voice to shut down the whole industry. I won't guarantee that I have one still, but it will be heard and I will not go down without giving my all for myself and others. And also, if you served in either of those conflicts or know someone who did, thank you from the very bottom of my heart. And to Rick Perry, I secede your state from the union. God speed and press 1 for Spanish!

In a very ironic and angelly kind of way I just got the news that my sisters' sister has died and they're making funeral arrangements. Gigi and Lisa have become my pool buddies over the years and we've shared a whole helluva lot of drama all of which has not been fun. Their parents had died several years before when we met back up and it's like a little commune. Smoky was the neighborhood dog that came from their parents and died last year right before Faith. Precious is a camera bug like me and he has saved my life on occasion. God bless his little heart, he still hoofs it around the car dealership. He and my cousin Kenny left one together one time and started their own little place on the by-pass with a swing on the porch that they sat on and drank beer. Quaint, but didn't last long. The swing is in their yard to this day.

I don't like to bitch and moan but it's hot and hot and hot and it's hot. And I have no sugardaddy even though I've asked and asked and pleaded with Big Ernie. As it turns out my future will be decided without my direction and evidently it doesn't involve large sums of money so I might as well be a happy lower middle class person and leave it at that. I never have heard if Cusack has a GF or not because he seems to know the value of keeping his mouth shut. That reminds me of Mahala's obsession with Craig Ferguson. She went to VEGAS to see him! That's my kinda woman right there.

I find myself more and more turning inward for comfort and solace because it's quieter in there than in the hustle bustle of daily life in a corporate world. I'm good at my job and an asset in a generation of aging professionals. So are most of my co-workers. We stick together through half of our lives because we have to in order to make a living, but there's a bond there that doesn't go away after that many years together. I will forevermore remember every pathologist that I've ever respected or loved fondly except for maybe one or two and they were just arrogant assholes. And I promise to bring breakfast sometime soon!

My favorite boss of all time is a guy that I've blogged about before and whose wife is also in healthcare. As a nurse, he understands the clinical side of healthcare administration like new grad MBAs cannot. A large and stately man he was kind and gentle with the generation that he led and put up with a lot of political BS. When my mother was hallucinating and speaking in tongues, she started ranting about the church and how they sold us out. She really DID listen!

Gotta' go check the basement and see if Snowden is down there with Mr. Snake...let us pray^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment