Tuesday, August 21, 2012

the long goodbye

Most every day of the past week has been an opportunity to say goodbye to old friends that I know won't be around much longer. Last night I got a call from Ms. Olive who asked if I'd be there at the sawmill for her appointment. I told her I was off but would drop by. She's so tired that talking wears her out but her little eyes beamed at me as she told me once again that I'm the one she'll remember out of all the people who gave her care. When we first met I had a mad crush on a guy there and we ended up having an up close and personal encounter with her. At that time she was still smoking and drinking beer and having a fine old time. Her British accent was peppered with lots of F bombs and whatnot but I can totally relate. George Carlin's philosophy on cussing is the one I adopted. Today, she just looked tired. I think she wanted to say goodbye, ya know?

Passing on back toward the lane I noticed farmer Joey and BubbaW shelling corn so I stopped to take a few pictures in between dust storms. It is THE most allergenic crop around when it's being harvested. Oh hell...there goes another high dollar air filter! Mom and I picked up lunch and went to visit her sister at the village. These two are so opposite you wouldn't believe they're sisters if you didn't know it, yet they always remember who they were and are now and it's a treat when they get together. I dodged six lanes of traffic to get to the convenience store across the highway for 2 diet Cokes. Hey..she was out.

Can't think of a thing to bitch about because it doesn't do any good except as an outlet to help move on. To put it in the words of my friend Sue "It is what it is." And George would say "Oh BOY!". My fruitcake friend in Halls is at home and recovering from a big ass surgery. A retired English teacher/football coach (I know, go figure that one, right?)he's been the calm in his own storm ever since his diagnosis. He loves to torment me with surprise attacks at the lsawmill where his greeting is "Well WELL..and how is your day??" Big hugs buddy. Get well so you can edit the book :)

This is not a rant by any means, but a plea of sorts to citizens who have their heads buried in life so far that they don't take the opportunity to make intelligent use of the right to vote that was fought for by many before us. I know the feeling of being too overwhelmed to think about anything other than how to feed the kids but really? Things can be different and will be if we work together instead of being at odds on every single little detail. What is especially scary to me now is that the Christian right has infiltrated politics and that is a big nono in church state separation. See:Constitution of the US. We are not stupid ya'll. The middle class is just wore ass out from supporting everybody else.






No comments:

Post a Comment