Wednesday, August 1, 2012

hump day humor

Most everybody in the work world acknowledged today as hump day, even though for me personally it was like a Monday because I was off for two days. It sucked just as much today as it would have two days prior. We had drama at the sawmill and of course there's always drama down the hill at Casa Grands. I called to get a refill for her today and was told that "the doctor had already called that in". Hmm. Somebody's not wanting to let go of the little things. Most of the time when she and daddy try to "fix" something, it ends up in a thousand pieces. The thunderstorm bent his flag pole so he and a neighbor chopped it off and screwed it in. Not quite as tall, but it works. Another neighbor picked up the limbs that were every freakin' where after that storm. Too late for the corn, but beans and cotton will do fine. Except the plants that got smooshed when my favorite pecan tree fell into the field, trunk and all. Nice paper shells, ya'll. I mourn!

I haven't watched much of the the UK goings on but I did see where those girls got in trouble got game fixing. Personally, the only difference I see between that and betting on the side of football games is that these contestants should be all about personal best as a team and giving fans who paid major money a reason for being there. At least they're not making millions off of logo sales.

The heat has returned with a vengeance and a lot more moisture in the air...what we like to call "humiditay" here in the south. I have an appointment with a friend and adviser tomorrow to talk about some of the things that are rattling around in my brain concerning my parents. Mr. Milton plays the flute and is older than my mom and dad. Mama informed me that she has booked him to play while Joe sings at her funeral. Venue to be decided later. Her request? Morning has broken. She remembers it from when Cat Stevens did his version during my teenage years. I asked whom we should hire if he's dead first and she had to study on that one.

Most of the time I am harried and worn, trying to make a living and have a little fun when it comes along. Lately there hasn't been much. I think a lot of the frenzy is to keep me from feeling the sadness of losing my parents as I have known them. I've watched as one right after another of their friends die, realizing that their day is coming and that even though I may be a hot mess, I'm doing my part while it counts with them. Hey. Somebody's gotta be the big girl.

We have been in this mode for five years, dodging hospitals and office visits, co-pays , haircuts and whatnot until everybody is out of ideas. The next phase will include more hours of in-home care if the $$ comes through. Until then, it's status quo unless there's a broken something. I could honestly just fall into a heap and cry myself to sleep, but I know how bad that makes 'ya feel the morning after so I'm up for some distraction until bedtime. It's amazing to lay there and watch the sunset over that familiar landscape. Just like I figured it would be all those years ago.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment