Sunday, August 5, 2012

it takes a village

I tend to be quite cautious about joy and happiness because I'm so afraid of being slapped down for being proud or smug. Can't help it...I've been there-done that too many times. It's Big E's way of keeping me humble. Most of what makes he laugh is random...standup comedy, little kids being themselves. I used to read voraciously before life turned into one big dramafest. Now my eyesight is going, just like my mama's. I talked to the little general today and she and Big are surviving his surgery one week out. Huge, ya'll. He's a champ though..cool as a cucumber and that's what it takes to survive!

I am terribly excited about the news that the Mississippi river corridor is getting attention like grants and whatnot for an interpretive center and demonstration garden. Lorna wants it to be "sexy"! I'm with you on that..make it an experience rather than a visit to some sadly neglected portion of west Tennessee. Her Gulf coast gardens were expertly planned and executed for those who chose to participate. That's what it takes to get away from processed food ya'll. Grow 'yer own.

Still hot, and very VERY humid. The dogs are all chilling under the bed while I piddle my little heart out. Daddy and I hit the doughnut shop today and they were tickled that they could remember our usual. The guy sitting next to us is a former football coach and they discussed the game. Daddy said the first football game he saw in color was a bowl game in which Errol played. See? The memory is great if we can ratchet down the OCD shit. Just saying. As I was filling out MORE forms for the VA, I began to think about the time involved with elder care which is what is coming for all of us. The problem is a lack of integration of services and governmental controls that are put in place by non-healthcare practitioners, AKA politicians. I will never as long as I live forget Bill Frist's tenure in our state. Don't bring your Wall street crap up in my home state, you hear? Terri will haunt you forever dude. When I first began in the lab the very same FDA that inspected our blood banks was also doing chicken plants. How special!

Haven't heard from the neighbors lately since mom and kids plus dog on leash came to get away from daddy's rant. Pitiful ya'll. Both boys are special needs and that little girl is learning to settle, just like her mama did. Yet it is how many Americans live. Just this week there was a meth bust in our area where four children were removed and then the law went back for the dogs and ferret. FOUR freaking kids in the middle of that chemistry lab. Little ones. The poverty and addiction rate in this tri-state area is astounding and disturbing. Memphis is one of the top cities for teen pregnancies in the country. It makes me glad to be in a smaller place where everybody knows your name.

^j^







No comments:

Post a Comment