Tuesday, July 19, 2011

walk a mile in my shoes

As we continue sifting through the history that is us on the farm, I find myself stopping to touch things one more time before I pack or share them. Determined to find some scrap change, I asked my friend who does all things EBay what my LPs were worth and she said 45s go for 99cents. So much for that idea! Ours is the kind of place where American Pickers would go wild over what we've found buried in the dirt and mud from decades of farming. Above all of it, the silos tower lord knows how many feet high over the dairy barn. Even though I drive by them every day...several TIMES a day...I never get tired of gazing that way and imagining what it was like in the 20's. My (revised) goal for having the junky dining room cleared out is Thanksgiving this year so I've still got time. Even though I have to work, I can still prop a pine cone turkey up on there for decoration :)

Once, I was an avid walker clocking 2.5 miles easily. That was when I was in my thirties and forties and had all that excess energy to burn off come heat or humidity. My BF and I disagree on very little, but temperature is one thing we've had to compromise on mightily. BG and I like to be chilled. He works in the heat all day and freezes his buns off when he's here. We've turned into a little commune here, each of us respecting the others' space and privacy and the dogs. And we always keep clean covers :) The dogs usually stay in the office up front where there's a fan.

The back of the house faces east toward the second or third hole on the municipal golf course bordered by acres of corn. The steps are a great place for a sunrise, while the front porch offers a magnificent view of sunset over the hill. It's very quiet ( except when Beethoven gets on a jag ) Not many planes land at the airport behind it because the city leased it to someone who ran all the pilots off. I've heard that they have plans to get it back and fix it. Maybe Mary Lou will open another restaurant! She's only 82 and still kicking.

I'm on a mission and it's not done yet. Life is a highway.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. The most important thing you'll uncover are the memories. Hold them close, for they are beyond value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late to the party again I see.....stolen moments are all we have, to get us through this lifetime of all the good and bad....steal a moment and just remember. Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete