Friday, July 1, 2011

incognito

I've always been a fan of Saturday Night Live's comedy troupes and one of my favorite players was Jon Lovitz when he did the line "ACTING!!!" at the end of his Shakespeare gig. Go figure. It's been around for a long looooong time as an art form that lends itself to deception. See: Genesis and the snake story. Which reminds me.......yesterday afternoon my BF and me were piddling around in the yard when he went down to the basement to get a rake to tidy up the fire. He came up off the concrete steps with a freakin' chicken snake wrapped around his arm and proceeded to mess with mess with me really hard. That was our first reptile experience but I think he saw pretty quick that I wasn't playing. Just say no to serpents.

As a person who loves to read, I've found that I tend to nod off when taking on a good book unless it's early AM or right after work when still at attention. Bev asked me when I was in my thirties why I didn't just read for fun. Then I discovered Stephanie and Lula and it was all over but the giggling. A big fat shoutout to my homegirl Claude who is two months older. Today is her birthday and this woman deserves a party!! She came from big money with a heritage and has always been a rebel like myself. Stealth, that's our motto. Golden Trojans forever and flag girls rock!

My uncle Jimbo was the band director in those days and he was all about the performance, if you know what I mean. It wasn't good enough to just march in the Veteran's Day parade in your uniform. He insisted on stage band and other venues for aspiring musicians. Not a lot of them went on to become professionals, but they all had fun practicing. His daughters are my KY cousin Deb and Mo, in correct birth order. Between them they have five children who are the grandbabies of Aunt Granny. She is still, to this day, one of the most beautiful alto voices around, especially when singing hymns.
^j^

1 comment: