Wednesday, July 27, 2011

follow that star

Back in the day when bloggers were all about meeting the masses on the interwebs, we did things called memes where we told things about us that nobody really knew except for our friends. I am totally embarrassed to say that I spent hours on the keyboard telling the world what my favorite food is, not to mention movies and books. Blogs were good therapy then, and they remain so to this day. Why else would I still be doing it? Folks with writing in their souls sometimes don't know how to put the whole thing together so we just tap things out one story at a time hoping that somebody somewhere reads the words and gets the point of the whole thing. It's a cheap fix for a writer wannabe who has a day job and a whole helluva lot of stress.

There was this one guy in Dallas who used to work for giant aircraft company, carry a clipboard and look worried a lot. He gave it all up and moved to Colorado to become a hair stylist and hiker. We talked a few times on cellphones, he with a bluetooth crammed in his ear driving in rush hour traffic and me doing my usual thing here in the 'burg. Which never includes anything more high tech than a new phone at update time. AT+T luvs me.

In many ways, the people that I met influenced my views of the world and my beliefs. Lois and Mahala always make me laugh. Phyllis is stealth with the politics but I get it every time. Vicki and Tisha and I did a relay to get Old Hoss around the country for a few new experiences before he passed over and went to the land of frozen spirits and dung beetles. Drew and Joe have been constant, as have Judy and Jennifer and the Petro family. Lori and Anita are always there for me. Let's not talk about all the guys I met in Yahoo! chatrooms, umkay? Only one of 'em took me out to eat. Meh.

I am content, for the first time in many years and that is no small thing. Things aren't perfect but I feel the prayers and karma of people who love and honor me and that's more than many will ever know. I choose not to feel guilty and beat myself up but instead, keep moving toward the light. That can be stars, or the moon or the sun or even a candle. Sometimes, in the dark...it's worth more than gold.

^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment