Sunday, June 27, 2010

small world

Friday afternoon, just after I raved about how nice it was to watch the rain move in, the storm that followed knocked out the power at my parents' house down the road. My brother was at work and called to tell me to check on them in about an hour and see if it was back on because, heaven forbid that Daddy not get to experience his Law and Order loop! When I called, he was ready to come on up and watch a little TV so I went down to pick him up and he came out with his short pajamas on, cowboy boots, a pillow and blanket under his arm and holding his pee jug. I'd show you a picture but it would scare you to death, so just use your imagination. He moved from my room to BG's room and back again, and then I went down to get Mom.

By the time we got back up here he had managed to mess up both remotes, so it quickly became bedtime. Mama slept on her sister's ex-couch fully clothed and like a baby. Daddy never stirred from BG's bed, even though he claims he was up at the buttcrack of dawn. We knew better when he stumbled into the living room to find us girls laughing about BG's night at the hotel. It's the first time in about three years that he has slept in a bed, always on vigil and stretched out on the couch, listening for something that Mama night need. The pee jug thing started when he slept upstairs and didn't want to navigate the steps during the night. Five us of lived there together and shared one bathroom back in the day. The boys usually just went outside I imagine... can't remember exactly how it went. Our rooms were on the second floor and there was a big window attic fan that kept us cool during the hot and humid summer bedtimes. I couldn't have been more than four or five, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

A couple of friends came by this afternoon and I found out, quite by accident, that one of them is the daughter of an old runnin' buddy of mine. He and HIS buddy used to host an annual Brain Fry out at other buddy's Daddy's farm, usually in the fall. We were much younger then, by the way. Sometimes I wonder if we're the least bit wiser. Time will tell.

^j^

1 comment:

  1. Just a little note to let ya know I'm still readin' dem, even if I ain't got nuttin' to add. Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete