Sunday, January 15, 2017

let us turn our thoughts today...

Growing up in the racially charged atmosphere of the 60s made a real impact on me and many others in the South.  My elementary school became integrated when I was in the fifth grade and there was one African American boy in the class.  I believe his name was Vernell.  It didn't seem odd to me at all because I grew up in a neighborhood where white and black saw no color difference, only neighbors and humanity.  The Johnson and Lanier kids played with me and my brothers on a daily basis.  

Dr King was and remains a hero to me as a freedom fighter.  That he was murdered on the balcony of the Lorraine motel by a cracker was not a surprise but definitely a sorrow.  His work with the sanitation workers in Memphis lifted them up and gave them hope in a white man's world.  He did the same wherever he went and did it in a non-violent fashion.  Sadly racial and gender equality are still issues with which we struggle as Americans.  Access to guns and a burning hatred make that a dangerous situation for everybody.   

While you enjoy your three day weekend, give some thought to the man who gave you Monday off.  I have honestly heard people call the national holiday that we observe "nigger day" and it makes me want to puke or fight, not necessarily in that order.  I have never used that word in life except when watching Kat Williams and laughing about "nigga' please."  The sad thing is that discrimination still exists bigger than ever and not just with the black community.  All of us are at the mercy of a government that does not hear our voices even when they cry out in unison for peace and equality.  

Donald Trump will be our president soon and it is what it is.  I refuse to buy into scare tactics and president bashing.  Instead I choose, as I hope you do, to look forward and make a difference one life at a time.  My House of Cards binge has made me acutely aware of the way things are done in government and that people are disposable if they know too much.  If you are on their radar, you don't have a chance.  Poverty. Crime. Healthcare crisis.  International relations.  All of these are issues which are vital to us as a people and they are in the hands of fools with power as an agenda.  In the words of my Daddy and Mr Yates  " This too shall pass."  

I think I set a personal record today for sleep.  I passed out after Papa John's about 5:30 and slept until 8 this morning.  That's a lot of zzzzzs.  I listen to my body now and rest when I have the opportunity.  I sat on the john this morning and marveled at the designs made by a flock of birds......hundreds of them....over the wheat field.  It's like their movements as a group were choreographed and reminded me of the power of God.  

May each of us seek wisdom from a higher power and pursue peace and equality as a lifestyle in spite of the bad guys.  

^j^




No comments:

Post a Comment