Thursday, June 11, 2015

sittin' shiva

My favorite episode of Weeds is the one where Albert Brooks is sitting with his dying mother and the Botwin/Newman crew comes to "help".  It takes a dark but realistic sense of humor to see the funny in who's gonna' put the pillow on her face.  Sadly, that is  the thought that many have while waiting for an elder to die.  But not my cousin MO!  Aunt Granny is being cared for 24/7 by her only surviving daughter who read old family memories to her during the night.  I was in and out all day since I was "at work" and once again, I feel grateful to have that privilege as a healthcare provider and relative.  I don't know what Jewish people do when they work for somebody who only gives you three days off for a parent's death because it takes 7 days for shiva to be done properly.  Fortunately, we aren't of that persuasion.

If it bleeds it leads, even if it takes a few days for news to get around.  My employer was front page and center in this week's local newspaper along with the tragic tale of my friend's wreck in Missouri.  She is still hospitalized and better, but the lady in the other vehicle (a very tiny one) is paralyzed from the neck down at 50 years old.  There was a fatality that same night at the event involving an ATV.  My friend was in a truck hauling several of them when the wreck happened.

We have Booger duty today so I imagine he'll get to swim at Gigi's which should be fun.  I'm finally able to breathe normally after a whirlwind few days of really BIG news that affects me on a lot of different levels, if you know what I mean.  My last things on the must get done list were accomplished this morning so that I have happy meds, dog food and Daddy's pills are all counted.  Again.  The blister packs are a really good idea but old people have a lot of trouble getting them all out without somebody to help.  Anyone looking to start a solid business model for providing those simple things  would be wise to jump on it.

I visited with Lucy da' Beagle this morning while doing business with her keepers and she is just precious always.  We even played a little ball and she caught it mid-air!  Her uncle T is pretty sick but is already back to making his magic brownies so I see some of those in my future when he visits Mom and Dad.  It's the little pleasures, y'all.

Walk By Faith...with Dianne ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment