Friday, March 29, 2013

choir boys

My uncle Jim established an adult men's choir at FUMC when he did the music there. My tenor daddy jumped right in and to this day still sings with a bunch of guys at the early service. It's their ministry, the ones who don't really want to take the time to harmonize but love singing out loud. "Up from the grave he arose!" Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war." He was also in a quartet that hasn't sung together in quite some time. Now mom on the other hand tells a tale about how Miss Gerster Neal tried to teach her to play piano and all she learned was the Bells of St. Mary's. That's like me and my Exodus masterpiece. I started with my Uncle Jim and then went to Nancy or vise versa. 7:30 in the morning is a strange time to be playing a tune before school. We all went to the same school so I guess we walked or someone dropped us off. It wasn't until Granny cut me loose and I hit puberty and Ms. Charlene Fisher at about the same time and something had to give. Needless to say, it was piano. Twenty years later I bought a beautiful upright from a couple whose son had died. I then passed it into the lady who plays for the old folks on Sunday evenings. There's that unbroken circle again.

It's a real gloomy day here which is pretty much like I have always imagined that Friday when Christ died. I know people who will swear up and down that none of it happened but I know more who are like me and believe that God is good and if he allowed his son to die for us, we must be worth it. I don't think Jesus was free of temptation and struggle. As a young man, he could have had a family. Who knows? Just because it's not printed there doesn't mean it couldn't happen. We are talking thousands of years and interpretations going every which a'way by word of mouth and scrolls. Considering the way gossip spreads like wildfire in the present sense, I don't see how the story couldn't have changed just a smidge. A buddy of mine did a post that ended with an invitation to Easter service at his home church where his wife just happens to be the minister. He has that strange writer's mentality like me where you get lost in a thought and just pick it to pieces. I'm trying to do better! It has been a pleasure to meet both he and Julie along the road.

What I love most about spirituality is the realm of possibilities of what is "acceptable" by law and society. Numerous states have voted to legalize marijuana as a cash crop to raise tax revenue. Why not? It costs a hundred times more to police and run that "war on drugs" that's the big boogie man. There are millions of dollars in legal fees being paid to manhandle gay marriage when that's not really the issue at all. The issue is that insurance companies and employers don't want to support same sex partners by providing benefits. There's your lobby right there folks.

I've talked to both ethereal friends this week, one in Texas (bless her heart) and the other home in Lake co for a few days. It's good to just sit and let it all out sometimes even when the world is caving in on you. Like the lady at the bank told me one day "They can kill ya, but they can't eat you." Lord knows sometimes it feels like you're getting swallowed up. That's when I have to retreat and chill for awhile and I am there and it is Friday thank you SWEET baby jeebus.The great dane Luke is evidently our new daily visitor but I'm not feeding him. He's got people for that. Still got three puppies here and they're manageable at this point but growing fast. They're a lot cuter now that they're able to play tugs :)

Guess I'll go dye some eggs in the microwave!

No comments:

Post a Comment