Saturday, February 23, 2013

you only live once

BG was telling me today that what she wants for her memaw is for her to run races down the halls of that rehab place and come in first yelling "YOLO!" She's far from it but will get there I feel sure. She and Ms Lula are getting along well and I'm sure she'll fill her in on at least one of those missing days because she lived it with her. Just one more mysterious way that Big Ernie has spoken to us during the past week ya'll. I remember the first time I saw my great grandmother crumpled up in a hospital bed with a CO2 greater than alert level and headed to ICU on a vent. I had all but given up on her when I found that, but she pulled through and continued to *kinda sorta* be nice until she died from a post op infection at 83. Peritonitis had set up in her large belly and it was a lost cause. We consulted with an anesthesiologist friend and decided to not do the vent again. That's when the asshat doctor on call showed up and pulled her morphine because her sats were dropping. Narcan, it's called. The bottom line is that he didn't want the mortality of the queen of Parkview hospital to show on his stat sheet. His noble partner who did the initial surgery returned from vacation just in time to stay with her while she died. Who's the angel in that picture?

Enough about work. The puppies are laying in the sun due on a teaser day like no other month but February can bring. I had a list as long as my arm of people I was gonna pay when the tax refund hit but life interfered with budget planning so here we are. I'm really having a hard time with trust right now seeing as how I work with a bunch of drama queens who hiss and start shit up. Thank god there's a guy or two in the mix. Saw both of them today! It's Daytona weekend which means the hell raising and wagering is about to be on until November. I always tolerated NASCAR but never did enjoy. Looks like a bore to me. I do remember the day that Big E died in that horrific wreck some years ago.

The thing I remember most about March is the day that my ex almost died of an MI at 39. I don't know flip about EKGs so my sister-in-law and the ER doc at the time had to explain the tombstones to me. He got a shot of something-ase and flew to a hospital in Memphis for a cardiac cath. The cardiologist was leaving for vacation so they didn't stent and sent him home. Over 50% of the time there was early closure following cath without stent. He ended back there three months later and did the whole thing over. At that time, the cost for both visits was about 50K. Lord only knows what it is now.

I miss Debbie a lot and it makes me sad to think about her boys going through "her stuff" saying their final goodbye. I told Mo that I would like something of hers to keep forever and until I die, to be passed on to the next generation of the Reaves family. Gotta keep this ornery tribe going forward, ya know?

Peace and love ^j^



No comments:

Post a Comment