Tuesday, February 5, 2013

budget planning and whatnot

I am determined to get out of this fiscal mess because it's NOT that bad compared to others who own tens of thousands. The problem is getting to a payday with everything current so that the service charges don't take a large chunk of it. It reminds me of that old song "nothing from nothing leaves nothing." Got my taxes filed and guess what? The good old US treasury is running late on returning that interest free loan. Before, online filing has always been a sure fire 10 day wait. Now it's three weeks? Puleeez. And yes, I still think it's all Dubya's fault. To think that our economy was based on the war effort and cannot survive without Big Ike invasions is a scary thought. At least following WWII there was a boom of prosperity. All we've got is a country that is killing young people with student loan repayment even while they have no jobs because of, well. You know the drill.

Didn't watch the SuperBowl but did see the farmer commercial several times and it warms my soul. Not sure it's gonna sell a lot of Ram trucks because most of the ones I know drive Chevys or Fords. But it was a well crafted tribute to a lifestyle that I have called my own for 57 years. The problem with farming as an industry came when the government started paying folks NOT to grow certain things to get subsidies. Way to support your homies, right? And then of course there's all that lobby money floating around financing GMOs and such. That is not my daddy's way of farming, ya'll.

Meanwhile, the puppies are crying a lot less as they grow and Ryder is getting her strength back. They're camped out in the living room (used to be office) floor on yoga blankets. One of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to warm weather is to get this damn Dell OUT of my bedroom, wires and all. It's finally clean and has decent furniture and the potential to be my haven following months of huddling next to an electric heater. As my mama always said "One of these days you'll look back and laugh."

All i quiet on the grands front but KY cousin's dream kind of startled me awake yesterday. Gonna go check on them after while when BG returns. She's job hunting like a mofo and there's just nothing here. The little old 'burg is dead as a doornail like the rest of the employment market. We're getting a Cracker Barrel soon and I figure there will be a stampede for jobs when the door opens. It's quite foggy out giving an extra air of dark heaviness to this day on the hill. I can barely see the silos through the mist.

Losing faith has never been an option for me because I'm just a Pollyanna that way. There have been times of doubt and fear and downright mental breakdown, but never a complete loss of belief in a higher power that has my back. My friendboss quotes her daddy as saying that "the cream always rises to the top". We all try to remember that as we struggle on through a life full of inequality and greed.

Young people! Carry on.



No comments:

Post a Comment