Monday, February 4, 2013

whiney puppies and jury duty

Always on the lookout for BF, I pulled up the other day to find a summons for jury duty instead. Lucky me! It's the first time locally so it should be interesting. I had federal once in the month of December and never once had to drive to Memphis thanks to a particularly icy spell. I'm sure I'll get some crackhead related offense that I'm very prejudiced against and I'm off the hook. Tough love, ya'll. There is a certain person in our neighborhood who literally scares the crap out of me. He's the poster boy for mental illness on a disability check. There is a wife who is quite slow herself and three children who witness a lot of things that they shouldn't have to see. We have considered calling DCS but hate to be the one to start the ball rolling in that kind of situation. They are all victims of his rage and control and I'm afraid for my own safety. That's why I lock 'em up tight. He showed up screaming at her in the driveway the other day in his freaking UNDERWEAR. Sheesh.

The puppies are growing and Ryder is becoming comfortable with motherhood. Now the huge task before us is to find homes for these seven darlings. If they eat anything like her, it will be an expensive proposition until they're gone. I will never forget the wonderful feeling of having the last two boys scooped up by a little girl and her mommy. It's the circle of life, you know? Tried to pawn one of them off on mommma and she said nada. Sammy D was supposed to be daddy's dog after his border collie got drug down highway 51 behind his truck. That was the beginning of us questioning the safety of his driving. We already knew that mom's driving days were over following two wrecks with totaled cars. Yeah, Toyota loved them to pieces. Daddy's final day behind the wheel was one I'll never forget. My brother called me at work and asked me to go check out the "hit and run" that daddy was involved in. I left work and went to the scene which is the same place mama had two of her own wrecks. I saw the truck directly across from me as I crossed and calmly asked where he was going. "To Angel's" he said. I told him to stay right there and I would pick her up. By the time we got her home and settled and answered all the cops' questions it was obvious that he had caused the wreck. The officer on duty asked me if he was "okay". I told him no, that he had dementia and could he help a girl out with that little detail. He obliged, and so did their family physician. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't easy but it's done.

I picked the first buttercup of '13 and though tiny, it's beautiful sitting in a blue vase on the window sill. I read a post written by a favorite friend today and found myself agreeing with him that the best of days are over and this hardship will continue for as long as WE live because nobody can get off their own party's pity pot enough to think about the overtaxed people who support their lifestyles. There will never be another Mr. Smith, circa Jimmy Stewart. Those folks don't exist anymore. I'm glad the Ravens won BTW. As for Beyonce doing the sign, I missed that completely.

Ya'll have a great day. I'm off and loving every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment