Sunday, July 8, 2012

manifest destiny

Always the dreamer and seeker, I've learned that the way to be SURE not to live your dream is to give up. Trouble is, I never really figured out what my personal dream is. Fiji is nice but totally out of the question right now, so I've had to set smaller goals and believe in the power of networking and karma. The universe is teaching all of us a lesson in varying degrees and you just have to be open to possibilities. One of my favorite recovery pictures is of little stick men who keep falling into the same hole over and over until they figure out how to walk around it. That is the story of my life in many ways. Caught in the motion of a rapidly changing women's movement during times of radical transitions like integration and the war in Vietnam, I sought to sit in the middle and be a nice little southern girl when I had to to keep my parents happy. They allowed me the experiences of live concerts in Memphis when it was the real hot spot for famous rock bands at the shell, coliseum and North hall. I just found myself searching for the feel-like-i'm-fixing-to-die rag by Country Joe and the fish and I met my hippie self coming out of hibernation. My friend Judy posted today that she is boycotting all things political media wise until after the election and I feel her pain. Lord knows I try!

Pride is either really hot or mad as hell over being penned up when he had several acres to roam before the executive decision was made to get him out of the cotton field. I spotted pink and white blooms on my way home from the sawmill this afternoon. Daddy came up to check out the new fence on his gator and then headed across the road to see the brilliant gold of the sunflowers. His birthday is in a week and he will be 81. He's often told me that he never thought he'd live to be "that" old, yet there he is still kicking with that stubborn Stafford streak intact. I'm really glad I only got an ounce or two of that...just enough to not let people run over me and keep the survival instinct going. Otherwise, I'm pure Mama.

Things could be much worse ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment