Thursday, July 12, 2012

if at first you don't succeed

My young friend B has a mom who is um, shall we say, a very difficult patient as in non-compliant with her meds and such and suffering from end stage COPD. Since she is just 48, she has only state aid for her healthcare needs and she is a regular fixture in the revolving door that is a hospital ER. Her husband is a trucker and mostly absent so B is in charge of the whole big mess while trying to raise her own family. She and BG met at work and became fast friends for many reasons, but one of them is that since BG is trained in social work, she knows the ins and outs of the system and how people can fall through the cracks. For YEARS, literally, the case management staffs at various agencies have worked to try to get her into a safer place where she can be comfortable and her daughter doesn't have the burden of taking care of everything. Every time somebody would get something lined up, she would bolt and run when the time came to actually do it, choosing instead to return to a home where others who don't have her best interests at heart have tried to cause lots of trouble for B who is the responsible one. BG told me today that there is a plan and that tomorrow it will be put in motion and I could have just cried for all of us, but especially for B. She refused to give up as her mother's advocate, and now it will pay off.

Being the touchy feely sort that I am, I am drawn to disciplines that require meditation and de-cluttering of the mind. I read two completely different articles today detailing tools for doing just that and one was written by a Congressman. He starts his day in a half lotus position meditating for 30 minutes and thinking about....absolutely nothing. In our fast paced world, that sort of self care has gone by the way side as we juggle home,work,friends,family and whatever drama happens to pop up during any days' time. Lotus position notwithstanding, we all have an opportunity to do that if we just make a mindful effort to unplug and escape reality now and then. It takes some practice for a type A like myself, but better living through chemistry has helped in that respect. I have aged into a mostly mellow seer of most sides of an issue with the ability to form my personal opinions without worry that others don't agree. I am who I am ..take it or leave it but please don't put me down for it. Big Ernie doesn't like that at all. Being the random victim of those who run around spewing anger and negativity taught me well to just not take much personally and forge ahead to the next adventure.

We have very basic satellite service so premium channels are out of the budget. Because of that we've missed an entire season of Weeds with the final one just beginning. Today season 7 arrived in the mail and you would have thought it was a check from the IRS or something we were so excited! Simple pleasures ya'll. The heat wave has finally broken but I still can't burn my accumulation of shit because the ban hasn't been lifted in spite of recent rains. The last thing I need is to get busted for illegal burning on the lane. Pride is still all penned up and faring well with nary an attempt to break out for greener pastures cotton fields. I know for a fact that the electric fence works because I grabbed a piece of it and got the shock of my life. Like I tell my brother: I'm just a girl. Gimme a break. All four dogs are sacked out in various rooms enjoying their cushy life at Casa Poopie and BG. The cat is most likely swatting stuff off the dresser.

Life is good ^j^

1 comment:

  1. Every February I wait for my season of Weeds, watch it in a marathon session that only lasts a couple of days, then wait another year (one more time now). Love me some Nancy Botwin. Simple pleasures, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete