Friday, November 19, 2010

the middle of the beginning of the end, and after

I distinctly remember having a conversation with my youngest brother around eight years ago, when I saw that Virginia was to be his home.  We talked a lot about the "don't own/can't defend" rule of thumb in the law, and decided that we would just roll with it until it ceased to be our homeplace.  Bubba stepped up to the plate, after much urging from all of us, and has made fantastic use of the land.  Trees have been trimmed and ponds buried, but it looks much better.  Time to move onto the next chapter.I would die a happy woman if I knew that this virtual wildlife reserve could be maintained.  The old dairy barn with the huge silos is a high point.  Where it used to be a dumping place for old political signs, now it houses farm equipment.  There's no need for much hay with no cows.  Cows are REALLY dumb, by the way.

Tomorrow is my mama's 77th birthday, bless her heart.  BG read her cards from girlfriends to her today and said they shared many a tale about the old days.  I heard through the grapevine that they snuck out at 4AM to play TENNIS?  Ha!  Busted, ya'll. The one and only time I snuck out of  my parents' house I got busted big time.  And of course, it was over some oversexed teenage boy.  When I saw the looks on their faces after I turned up okay, I was a believer.  Daddy cried when he saw me standing there making up lies to tell them.  I never forgot that, because he didn't cry much.  I think it had something to do with growing up as a sharecropper's son during the depression.  You had to be tough to survive.

"One day at a time" is a phrase that many support groups embrace and live as communities.  When we talk about stuff at work now, it's a given that somebody has some family drama going on and we just have to do the group hug thing and go on with our business.  BG first started watching Scrubs back in the day and it stuck with us.  Ditto for Family Guy and the Propane Guy.  And of course, Chelsey.  When times are as tough as they are now, laughter is the best option all the way around.  Seriously!

It's the weekend eve so I'm outta here and onto other things like warm blankets and such.  Peace out.....and call your mother ^j^

1 comment:

  1. One day at a time. Good advice. Sometimes, that's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete