Sunday, November 14, 2010

do no harm

Working in the field of healthcare has given me a keen awareness of who's in it for the money and who really enjoys "helping people."  Obviously, I'm not in it for the money because I never have any.  What is amazing to me is how far the professional fee write off thing will go with people that you know and respect at times, and at other times it's all about keeping the big fat boat floatin'.   There was this one guy, in particular, whose daughters went to church with BG.  He did some nerve studies in his "mobile lab"  to prove that I had carpal tunnel syndrome so that the surgeon could fix it.  That's how insurance rolls, ya know.

Anywho....I was still on basic then because it's all I could afford and the deductible was a thousand bucks so guess who got screwed.  Umm...I'll give you a hint.  It wasn't him.  I sent this man a personal letter asking for some forgiveness seeing as how times were hard and all that.  My reply was a phone call from a particularly nasty collection agency whose agent told me "Look....lady.  I'm a bill collector.  It ain't my job to be nice."  That went auto draft quickly.  Sheesh.  I survived a Chapter 7 bankruptcy following the divorce and remarriage.  That was back in the day when credit was king and the cards mounted up over time.  As did the car payments and what not.  And the price of beans.  Coming back from that is akin to digging a hole to China with a tablespoon started in the side yard like BG and Mary did that day long ago at the age of eight.  That wasn't very long after she pinned her cousin to the ground on in the yard and I had to break it up.  

The difference now is that many provider practices are owned corporately and ya'll know they don't play when it comes to money.  I'm just sayin'.  My company will write off deductibles for me if I require treatment there, but in the doc's offices you're on your own with insurance that is deducted by payroll.  And now you tell me that won't be tax free anymore?  Oh, please.  Let's all go apeshit crazy and take our country back from big business and support ourselves instead of the rest of the freakin' world.  Homeland security?  Does that phrase ring a bell???

Yep. I'm definitely in a rambling mood.  Watch out world ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment