Friday, October 8, 2010

retrospect

Usually it is only by pausing to look back that I see the work of Big Ernie in my life as the current  plan comes together.  The past month has been a blur, but I am slowly processing what all of it means and counting my blessings.  For so very long, I wondered why BE didn't see fit to bless me in a nice relationship with a guy who is polite yet rowdy in my kind of way and who appreciates me for what I am.  I totally believe he was holding out to see if I would settle like I've done so many times before.  The timing wasn't right what with BG and BF and the grands and money problems and such.  We have re-vamped our routines into a new normal that is comfortable and light with most of us on the same page.  That, my friends, is a blessing in itself.

Last night me and a couple of girlfriends were sitting on the porch with candles and beer, attempting to solve the problems of the world.  This little terrier looking dog who's been roaming the road ended up on the porch and I fed him.  And then he got a bath.  It struck me as we were sitting out there that it was just about this time last year when we buried Butters out in the pine grove, sobbing our little hearts out to Eva Cassidy singing "Over The Rainbow."  He has a big raw patch of skin on his back that looks like a fresh wound but it doesn't seem to bother him and anyway I'm "almost a nurse."  We're still thinking on a name.

I've had multiple neighbors at the end of the lane ranging from an odd couple pair of anesthesiologists to my brother and two of his wives with others scattered in.  Today at work, we interviewed a young lady who used to live there with her parents and visit our yard with her girls.  They loved seeing the kittens under the porch!  I've sat in on a ton of interviews, but this one was a love at first sight kind of thing. It dawned on me later that maybe that was a blessing as well considering all the drama we've had up in that place lately.

Corporate has been here touring the farm and taking care of business.  He comes once or twice a year, usually during planting or harvest to see what the plan is.  It is totally amazing to think of how many years my Daddy attempted to keep the thing going and they never had a clue what was going on with their valuable family property.  All that is different now, which I also count as a plus.

Ya'll be thinking about a name for this precious dog.  Marisa's suggestion was Scruffy, but it's still up in the air.  Keep the faith ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment