Wednesday, October 20, 2010

the end of an era

I spent today cleaning up the bathrooms and floors (with a little help from my friend) at Dyersburg's first nightclub formerly known as Century 21.  Back in the day it was a happening disco inferno place owned by a couple of high rollers who bought a shiny ball and hung it over that still beautiful wooden dance floor.  There is a primo stage, a kickass light system and some great memories up in there.  I wore my Backroads Tour t-shirt in honor of Layne Wrye's performance there with a whole lot of talented country pickers.  It's in the washer now along with the shorts and shoes that I wore while cleaning my way through the nasties.

This place has always been an event.   Prom queens have been crowned on that stage...for real!  Many a talented musical group has packed up their shit and unloaded for an evening of  great music dedicated to fans who want a night out with some serious fun.   At last count, the property has changed ownership about...ummm...a kazillion times.  Three generations have grown up within those walls, listening to music and partying with their friends.  When BG was a teenager, it was an alcohol free environment for she and her buddies to dance and socialize.  Much later on, I tried my hand at food service and failed miserably but had loads of fun with the bands who made live appearances on that stage.  In between , there was a whole lot of DJ action going on.

We shut the lights out around four and headed onto our real lives where there are dawgs to be fed and jobs to be shown up for and family members who need our attention. If I had my druthers, it would be a grocery store because there's not a one in the southern part of the 'burg and I just refuse to drive to corporate alley unless I'm starving.  There's no Dairy Queen anymore...just the Dodger store and their delicious deep fried menu.  Their beer cave is fully stocked with 'Natty light and Bud in cans, but no Mich Ultra.  Only in bottles, which tend to clutter up the environment.

Anywho...I seem to be particularly blessed these days with lots of extra hugs so I'm happy about that.  Stay tuned later for live pictures from the used-to-be-a-bar.  I'll for sure get a shot of the car hanging from the ceiling before the fat lady sings.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad to see those places where we used to hang out - just fold up and disappear....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers. Thanks for sharing the memories.

    ReplyDelete