Tuesday, April 7, 2009

instant everything


It just dawned on me while entering my brother's new cellphone number into MY phone that just a few years ago I didn't even have one. And now? I can't tell you anybody's number without checking it. To many it's a toy, and one that I've not yet learned to embrace, nor do I want to. If you need to reach me, call that number because it's always in my pocket. Otherwise, call the house. I don't take pictures with it or play songs or text friends. I simply talk. How very country girlish of me!

My TV viewing has trickled down to "whatever's on when I'm in the mood" which isn't very often unless I stay up late enough to watch Letterman or Leno or SNL. Contrast that with my father's viewing schedule which is from sunup to bedtime all courtesy of the wonders of DVR. His favs are Gunsmoke, Bonanza and NCIS. My younger brother and his wife were both TV news reporters years ago and I learned pretty quickly about the industry and that "if it bleeds it leads." Have you ever noticed how they all do that little nod when the camera turns on them? Watch. You'll die laughing.

Activities of daily living are things that social workers can use to measure what the needs of a particular person might be. Ability to drive, bathe, feed oneself etc. are all things that are considered when doing a care plan for an individual. So many people say that the loss of the ability to get in the car and GO when you want to without catching a ride is one of the saddest things about being an older person and I believe it after watching both of my parents give it up. While it means a few more trips here and there for me in the trusty old Camry, to them it means being dependent on others for their care. Fortunately, they have plenty of friends and family who want to help them. If you find yourself "too busy" to cultivate true friendships, that might be something to consider. I certainly have and it's an eye-opener.

Hillary's "it takes a village" speech was one that got quoted for years and I still think about it, only in a more global way. In a sense, everyone in your little corner of the world is your village and it's not always the children that need raising. Could be your next door neighbor's barn or the cleaning lady's heavy load of garbage.

I have known so many manipulative people in my life that I could build a bridge from here to China with their bodies linked hand to foot. Once I see that in a person, he or she becomes a big fat zero and most of the time they never even know it. I just carry on as if, free from the game. Too bad I didn't learn that at a younger age. I could have saved myself a lot of pain and misery.

My Daddy always told me that one should pray "in the closet" meaning not to make a big show out of it because that's what Jesus did. Mostly he went off alone and pondered how bad things were, searching for answers to some mighty grim predicaments.
While the Gospels disagree on a lot of their stories, that's one that pretty much comes through loud and clear. You won't see me parading into the church every time the doors open...rarely even on Christmas or Easter. After being raised there, and raising my daughter there I feel like it's time to walk the walk that we talked.

Ya'll have a very holy week.

^j^

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I was jus' ready to give you my phone number. Shucks!
    Where in South Texas (that all rates capitalizing) is BF? We are in South Texas, just north of Houston.
    Happy Easter,
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shot. Makes me want to go sit on the swing and watch the cat.

    ReplyDelete