Tuesday, March 12, 2024

"don't waste a good crisis"

Those words are not mine but those of the late Rev John Kilzer who died by suicide five years ago today.  He had struggled with addiction all of his life which included being an All American basketball star in Jackson who continued on a scholarship at Memphis State to become an English professor.  Being Memphian and a deep thinker, he began to write songs and do local gigs before signing with Geffen records in the late 70s.  Red Blue Jeans was my favorite.  I had the original vinyl and gave it to a high school classmate of his.  

Brother John created a ministry at St John's UMC in Memphis that served a large group of recovering addicts.  His wit and charm and music gave people hope and a reason to come back and start over.  He was a key player in starting a class at Memphis Theological Seminary for pastors who really didn't know how to help with substance abuse issues within a congregation.  After that, he began recording again with Archer which is where we became reconnected through my Friendship friends Cathy and her mother Ruth.  Sleepin' in the Rain still chills me to the bone.  "God loves them more than you'll ever know."  He relapsed and took his own life in rehab,  On March 12th during Lent.  

It's odd how we can all make a difference in someone's life just by being present and listening without judgement.  All these people who want to regulate morality and are dead set on exclusion are a big part of the problems in our world.  I believe in being honest and doing the next right thing.  Period.

My friends at the army picked me out the perfect lamp to go beside my bed, for five doll'a only.  It's the little things that count.  I so admire what they do every.single.day feeding the poor.  I'm not poor but if they have plates ready I will eat.  Fantastic cooks and "feed the hungry" folks.

Other than that, I got nothing but faith ^j^


No comments:

Post a Comment