Tuesday, October 8, 2013

talk to the hand

As I was wandering out through the lobby to leave work I stopped to catch a few minutes of the President's speech concerning the hostage taking of our government by the Republican party. I nodded silently as he called their moves for what they are...an attempt to get their way by holding the Affordable care act as a hostage when it is, in fact, not even a real person in this negotiation. Once again it was voted in by Congress and has been found constitutional by the Supreme court. What's your freakin' problem, jerkoffs?? All of this going back and trying to UNDO what the courts and government have already done, most especially in cases where the people have made their wishes very clear, is ludicrous. Those who would put the wishes of a few (mostly rich and powerful ones, at that) above the wishes of the majority can be sure that when election time rolls around, there will be consequences. And I can't wait to watch!!!!

One of the many ways that the shutdown has affected the country is that the death benefit for fallen soldiers is not being granted which is how their funerals are paid for, transportation to meet the body, hotels and food, etc. The national parks are downright scary, with Yellowstone reportedly holding a group of senior citizens under armed guard during their two day stay at an inn. The seniors from other countries who didn't speak English very well thought they were under arrest. Great PR for the red white and blue. I'm beginning to see that the long arm of the law extends well past us in a way that even we don't realize. Big brother is here.

Anybody who's read my stories knows that I can get into a most unusual circumstance and consider it normal just because of the fact that my life is like walking on landmines or IEDs. As hard as I try to believe good and happy thoughts, some kind of misery is sure to seek me out and burst the bubble. My friend Michelle waited at work one day to tell me about her super duper weekend which I've got to say is definitely something you can't make up. She and her hub drove 4 hours away to her son's old house which had to be empty by that night. They arrived to find the doors locked and the realtor nowhere to be found. Her boy (who lives hours away in Virginia) called the local cops to ask if it was okay for them to go in through the (open) window and get his stuff which included a giant stainless steel refrigerator freezer. They said fine as long as there was no breaking with the entering so my friend scooted in through the window and they got on with the business at hand. Somebody didn't get the memo about it being okay so here they are about to load up when the law comes into the place and pulls them outside to sit in the grass a spell while they "clear things up." They were trying to outrun a storm on the way back to the 'burg but managed to end up in the middle of a damn tornado warning with a stainless steel lightning rod of an appliance in tow. So of course they tucked the whole deal into a car wash for safety until they realized that it was metal too! When they finally got home Michelle was standing behind the trailer and her husband backed the trailer into her shins! Bless all their little hearts.

I'm learning a lot about the newspaper biz just from what BG shares with me about the printing of a daily rag. Their press is kind of finicky so lots of time is spent trying to get it to run smoothly enough to get the job done. She explained to me about the print being burned onto plates that are loaded onto the press which is something I had never really thought about. Cool as hell! Meanwhile, the world continues to twirl. Pecan hulls are still green but opening slowly just waiting for a hard frost and some good wind to finish the job. That will go from early November through December. I've seen years when they're still falling in January!

Money is still tight, but we eat and manage to get to work so we're more fortunate than many. I told one friend today that my only regret was not saving money when I had it so that my golden years didn't have to be spent scrimping. If I had just one dollar for every 32 buck OD fee I've had this year I'd be able to buy some propane and cook a decent meal. I will get there...ya'll hide and watch.

keep on keepin' on and keep the faith ^j^

No comments:

Post a Comment